AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appologize if this combo has already been debated, but I couldn't find find it on the forum.

I'm looking for a second set of speakers for a two-channel stereo setup in my living room. It will run using a Rotel pre/pro and Rotel 2x200 amp and I'm using a Tosh SD6200 as a transport.

The B&W602 and the Paradigm Studio 20s are almost identical in price. I like the 20's a lot, but I would like to get a slightly different sound in my 2-channel set up vs. my HT (paradigm studio 100,20,CC). I have had paradigms for years and want to try something different.

Do any of you have any thoughts on the 602s? Is is worth it? Should I just stick w/ the 20s?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have B&W 603's, and they are essentially a 602 with an additional bass driver. I really love them, so I would recommend them.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
IMO, the Studio 20s are more comparable to B&W's CDM series. I assume you've listened to the B&W's already? What did you think? Also, you will probably want a sub with any of these speakers...

·
Registered
63 Posts
When initially looking for mains, I auditioned the whole 600 S2 and S3 lines (in store) and was overwhelmed with their price/performance. I decided on two pairs of 601s as my side and back surrounds and before I installed them I put one pair in a 2-channel environment for a few days just to see how they would sound on music. I was very impressed indeed, especially with the bass output. The whole 600 S3 line, again IMO, is a wonderful value.

Both speakers you are looking into are very decent. For 2-channel listening however, I would look favorably at the 602s, IMO -- especially w/ your Rotel setup. The 602s will most likely (dependent on dealer) have a better upgrade path, allowing you to upgrade through the CDM, CDM-NT, and Nautilus lines should you want to focus more on music listening down the road.

Regards,

RR

Edit: typos and errors

·
Registered
383 Posts
The DM602s will give you a more laid back and balanced sound than the Studio 20s. The 20s are slightly more forward and emphasize the highs a bit more. Both are great speakers, but they are different. I had the 602s and Studio 40s as my speaker finalists, and I opted for the 40s because of their much stronger performance with home theatre. But, for music I could've opted for either speaker.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I own Paradigm speakers and I'm quite happy with them. I had the 20's in my home theater system and enjoyed their performance across the board.. You need to have a great sub though. Don't skimp in that

area. I also purchased a PDR-10 sub and after a bit of time, was disappointed with the base. My room size is 16 X 20 with a bunch of furniture in thee room.

The problem could have been my room layout and also placement, but due to restricted movement of the speakers and sub, I wound up moving the Studio 20's and the sub into a smaller room with more flexibility and use it strictly for listening to music. I like them much, much better now with the PDR-10 sub.

I replaced the Studio 20's in the 5.1 system with the Paradigm 90P's ver 2 and now I am much happier with the base response and overall performance. The highs are not quite the same as the 20's, but for

movies, they do the trick. Due to increasing furniture additions and lack of space, it was necessary to go without a sub and the 90P's did the trick for me because the three 8 inch woofers are amplified. Thus, not necessary to have added space for a sub.

I also listened to the B&W 602's and liked them a lot. They are fine, fine speakers. I am driving the 5.1 system with an Argaon 8008B X 3 and the rears with an Aragon 8002. The Studio 20's are being driven by a Parasound HCA 855A with vertical bi-amplification.

It's always a question of personal taste. Either one is a good choice in this price range. Bring them both home Mike and do an A/B comparrision. It's a bit of work, but in the end, you will know you made the right choice. Much luck. It's always fun to buy new audio equipment. Cheers

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have directly ABed those two, and I prefer the Studio 20's, which I now own. I agree that the Paradigm Studio series is a closer match sonically to the B&W CDM series. Really you can't go wrong with either though and it is a definite matter of taste. The 20's are not fatiguing to my ears BTW. Paradigm Mini-Monitors are a bit after a while, but not the 20's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.