AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you upgrade from Paradigm Studio 60 to 100's?

If so, I'd like to hear why because I am considering it myself.

My thinking is the larger drivers will deliver a wider and more open sound.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with my 60 v.5 mains but there's always that doubt that I should have waited and gone for the 100's instead.

I already have ample power so that wouldn't be a factor.

Opinions, comments?

·
Registered
634 Posts
i dont have experience with Paradigm, but usually a big speaker doesnt always mean a bigger soundstage...

also, im sure the folks in the Paradigm owners thread will have plenty to say about your dilemma

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've owned 20s, 40s, and 60s. I've certainly listened to 100s. I'm actually running S2s now. My choice in both the Studio and Sig lines (as of v3 Studio/v2 Sig anyway) is the Studio20 / S2. Combined with subwoofers: those have made the best sound.

If there are no subs, then my choice changes. But I'd rather 20s+subs than 100s.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast1 /forum/post/19509929

Did you upgrade from Paradigm Studio 60 to 100's?

If so, I'd like to hear why because I am considering it myself.

My thinking is the larger drivers will deliver a wider and more open sound.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with my 60 v.5 mains but there's always that doubt that I should have waited and gone for the 100's instead.

I already have ample power so that wouldn't be a factor.

Opinions, comments?

I'm waffling between the 60 and 100 as well. Let me know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I agree with aquaphile and Jerry. I'm not a fan of "upgrading" within the same line, I'd rather have S2's than Studio 100's, they are both excellent speakers but the S2's are excellenter.

Ron

·
Registered
155 Posts
A few weeks ago I did purchase the 60's, a week later took them back and got the 100's. The reason is, wife got a bonus from work, she spoke to the retailer while I was napping. She woke me up and said pack up the 60's we are going to get the 100's. She said she thought I would always be wanting for the 100's so we should get them while we can afford it. She also said she thought the 60's were a little small...I know wierd for a wife! She was used to the Monitor 11's being there. I feel safer turning the 100's up more with the bigger drivers. They are also 3 way as opposed to 2.5 for the 60's as far as crossover goes. I also feel there is more bass with the 100's and since I do not use my subs when I listen to music this is a factor for me. Room size comes into play and more importantly budget. My thoughts on the 60's, I was very impressed with them, and if not for the wife I would still be listening to them quite happily. So either way you go I believe you would be more than happy. Make sure you either get them on sale or if you happen to be friendly with your local retailer, you might be able to work out a good price with them that makes you both happy. I hope that helps, have a good night all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just thought I would reply, who wouldn't want own the Signatures but they are out of my budget!

I think you reach a certain price point like the Studio's and then the difference in sound to the Signatures becomes less noticeable as opposed to the Monitor's vs the Studio's where there would be a bigger difference. My opinion is that the Signatures are more of a "no cost" approach and as developement goes on with the Signatures it trickles down to the Studios. So I actually think the Studio v5 is a great time to step in and purchase since they are such a big change from v2 or v3. The curved cabinet is really nice and the Rosenut finish looks amazing. And they sound as good as they look!

Again, have a good night.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 /forum/post/19510537

Just thought I would reply, who wouldn't want own the Signatures but they are out of my budget!

I think you reach a certain price point like the Studio's and then the difference in sound to the Signatures becomes less noticeable as opposed to the Monitor's vs the Studio's where there would be a bigger difference. My opinion is that the Signatures are more of a "no cost" approach and as developement goes on with the Signatures it trickles down to the Studios. So I actually think the Studio v5 is a great time to step in and purchase since they are such a big change from v2 or v3. The curved cabinet is really nice and the Rosenut finish looks amazing. And they sound as good as they look!

Again, have a good night.

Aren't the S2's and the Studio 100's around the same $$?

Ron

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Tough call on switching out the 60's for 100's.

If this was an initial purchase I would say to my ears the 100's are superior in every way to the 60's and its a no brainer if you have the money.

But since you have already spent the money on the 60's it is not quite as clear cut to me.

Can you continue to use the 60's by moving them to surround duty and displacing something else ?? Or do you have a needy relative that you can give / sell them to and get the satisfaction of helping them out ??

I think incremental upgrades is the most expensive path so staying within the series makes no economic sense to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Phast 1 - I actually took the 60's back and exchanged them for the 100's one week after purchasing the 60's, so I no longer have them. Because we are pretty good customers my retailer did not charge me a re-stocking fee and I still got the 100's for a good price. So in my case it was well worth the exchange. Besides that, because I am a faithfull customer, I am sure he was thinking in his head, he will be back for the centre channel to match, the cc690. And he is right, I am saving for it right now, I just need to sell my cc390 to make up the difference...haha!

Ron - As for the signature S2's, they are actually four hundred dollars cheaper then the Studio 100's, but they are bookshelf where as the Studio 100's are towers. I just prefer the towers myself, although the wife is already looking at the Studio 20's for the rear, I currently have Paradigm Monitor 11v6back there. Plus if I bought Signature bookshelves then it would lead to a Signature centre channel and not being a rich person, I have to consider myself extremely lucky to have what I have.

·
Banned
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint
Tough call on switching out the 60's for 100's.

If this was an initial purchase I would say to my ears the 100's are superior in every way to the 60's and its a no brainer if you have the money.

But since you have already spent the money on the 60's it is not quite as clear cut to me.

Can you continue to use the 60's by moving them to surround duty and displacing something else ?? Or do you have a needy relative that you can give / sell them to and get the satisfaction of helping them out ??

I think incremental upgrades is the most expensive path so staying within the series makes no economic sense to me.
Good point...

The incremental upgrade would definitely not be cost effective.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400
Ron - As for the signature S2's, they are actually four hundred dollars cheaper then the Studio 100's, but they are bookshelf where as the Studio 100's are towers. I just prefer the towers myself, although the wife is already looking at the Studio 20's for the rear, I currently have Paradigm Monitor 11v6back there. Plus if I bought Signature bookshelves then it would lead to a Signature centre channel and not being a rich person, I have to consider myself extremely lucky to have what I have.
Hey, your wife got the bonus and wanted the 100's, you should keep them!

Many people (guess what, I'm one of them) actually prefer bookshelfs/monitors on stands with sub(s) vs. towers within the same price range. More positioning flexiblility and the bass goes where it should. Somewhere north of $5K I start preferring floorstanders but that's not my sitch.

For the OP it could be a good choice, and that $400 he saves can go toward the sig center. However, If he's got a big room and his priority is really loud HT, it's probably not the best option.

Ron

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I've switched from the 60's to the 100's. If your rocking a decent sub, the 100's advantages get thrown out the window. If you listen to 2 ch with no sub or have a smaller sub, the 100's are the right choice IMO. I "had" the 100's and loved the living crap out of them but have now switched to the JTR triple 12's (they are around the same $)

They both are good but the JTR 's are in a league of their own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts