AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it's the same as the Sanyo PLV60 and PLV60HT with a modified firmware. Everybody says it's the best LCD PJ for under $8000 for now. I'm planning to purchase this soon but thinking if I will get this or the Sanyo. (Price, warranty, support, etc.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just received mine a couple of days ago. I'm in the process of tweaking it and viewing several different movies, and will submit a review in a few days.

As of right now, I find it to be a very good performer for the price. The scaler isn't all that great, but it's better than some of the other projectors that I've seen. You definitely want to feed it a progressive signal.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Disco,

The price was $5200 but could be driven down with a package. I really like the service and support that they extend there, and I haven't even bought my projector yet. Heard they made improvements to it. Not sure how that was achieved. I will need to see it for myself.

Why does it definitely need a 480p player? Does it look so so with 480i?

------------------

nino :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've installed it, put it through its paces and compared it to the Sony 10HT. IMHO it is head and shoulders above the Sony. The scaler is better than most and I too preferred feeding it a progressive signal (480p) via the component video rather than a 480i signal. But the 480i still provided a very watchable image.

Can you get a better projector for this price? Maybe, but I have not seen it. If anyone has, please let me know but for now this projector is tops.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Guill (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimmmmbo, David,

What screen are you using? I am thinking GreyHawk. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Scott,

I am using a Vutec Soundscreen (microperf). I painted the wall underneath the screen a flat black and it improved the contrast and improved the richness in the color. Also, with the center channel speaker behined the screen it really anchors the sound to the screen. It's awesome.

I'd like to see a grayhawk to compare with the improvements that painting the wall underneath a microperf screen flat black brings.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
David,

I am seriously considering purchasing a Sanyo PLV60HT or the Studio Experience 13HD. I have been trying to decide on a suitable microperf screen. I would love to get a Stewart Grayhawk, however, the price is very high. I see that you are using a Vutec for which I have a few questions. Are you happy with the Vutec and how does it compare in price to a Stewart? I understand that the gain on the Vutec Soundscreen is 0.8. Is this correct? What are the dimensions of your screen and do you find the brightness to be acceptable? Was the Vutec delivered rolled up or folded? Can you see your center channel speaker through the screen on bright scenes?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
127 Posts
Disco:

I'm using a temporary screen write now, a Model B on a stand. It's simple matte white, unity gain. My needs are for watching in a room with inadequate light control during the daytime, so I'm willing to make the sacrifice in black levels for a watchable image during the daytime. If you can keep ambient light well-controlled at all times that you are viewing, then a grey screen will help your contrast.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Are you happy with the Vutec and how does it compare in price to a Stewart?
Yes, it is about half the price of the Stewart screen.

Quote:
I understand that the gain on the Vutec Soundscreen is 0.8. Is this correct?
I have seen it listed at .85

Quote:
What are the dimensions of your screen and do you find the brightness to be acceptable?
The screen is 16:9 aspect ratio and 103" diagonal. The brightness is fine, even with ambient light directly in the projected lights path.

Quote:
Was the Vutec delivered rolled up or folded?
It came rolled, no creases.

Quote:
Can you see your center channel speaker through the screen on bright scenes?
Well I used to be able to see it but now I can't. Because of the Vutec mounting system (it is simple to mount) the screen is held away from the wall and you can see the black outline from the center channel speaker (I removed the grill). So I simply painted the wall directly behind the screen a flat black and the center channel speaker disappeared. To my surprise, a fringe benefit was that the flat black behind the screen improved the contrast and the apparent black level and it added a richness (saturation) to the other colors. It may create the same affect that the Stewart Grayhawk creates. I'd like to see a Gray hawk in action to see if the affect is the same as I have observed by painting the wall flat black behind the Vutec soundscreen (micro-perf screen). By the way the rest of the wall is not flat black just that area directly behind the screen.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Guill (edited 10-04-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.