AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Studio Experience has just released a new Matterhorn Projector. I've read that prices are supposed to be competitive with the Sony HS20. There is not much information on the web about this new projector, so I thought I'd start a thread. Here is what Studio Experience states on their spec sheet.

Studio Experience 30HD

- Significant optical efficiency with T.I.'s Matterhorn DMDtm Chip.

- Superior image quality with advanced optical engine.

- High color reproducibility with enhanced video integration.

- All digital projection by DVI/HDCP.

- HDTV 1080i/720p compatibility.

- Multi screen viewing by Picture in Picture function.

- Excellent 2000:1 contrast ratio.

Key Specifications

Resolution: WIde-Pal 1024x576 pixels

Brightness: 800 ANSI lumens

Lamp: 200W Cinema Mode / 250W Presentation Mode

Lamp Life: 120 - day guarantee

Display Type: Texas Instruments DLPtm Tech & Matterhorn DMDtm chip

Contrast Ratio: 2000:1

Colors: 16.7 million

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Inputs: (1) VGA, (2) Component, (1) CVBS, (1) S-video, (1) DVI-D

Decibel Rating: 29dB in Cinema Mode

Video: NTSC, SECAM, PAL, HDTV, 720p, 1080i

Digital Keystone: +/-15' Vertical/Horizontal correction

Dimensions: 5.6" x 12.7" x 12" / 144cm x 324cm x 304cm (H x W x D)

Warranty: 3 year parts and labor (Upgradeable to 5 years)

These specs are quoted off of Studio Experiences spec sheet available at:

Studio Experience Premiere 30HD homepage

I'm not quite sure of the MSRP or their price but I plan to call on Monday. If what I've read is correct, and this thing should fit between the Sanyo Z2 and Sony HS20 in price, it is going to be a killer product!

If anybody has additional information, please post. I had mine eyes set on the new Infocus Screenplay 4805 (Sanyo Z2 is still on backorder), but if this thing is at the price people say, well, it's a done deal!

Regards Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
Steve,

I really wish the color wheel type and speed were posted in all DLP products relating to video and home theater.

Any info on this? (haven't yet been to the site myself).

Jason

·
Registered
319 Posts
Steve,

I don't believe the site lists that info either.

That is without doubt the coolest looking projector I've ever seen! Kudos for the deign.

Anyone know if it's a clone of another model? (such as the Matine 2HD is a clone of the Z2).

Jason

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason

I have no idea what the color wheel refresh is. Being a Matterhorn DLP, I couldn't imagine the 30HD having anything less than a 4x/5x color wheel. I guess that is what the thread is for. Anybody with this info, please let us know!!

I don't believe Studio Experience actually manufacturers any of their projectors. I believe that they work closely with manufacturers (i.e. Sanyo), and re-badge, while offering their own service, support and warranty. From my dealings with SE on the phone about the 1HD and 2HD, they've informed me that while their projectors are re-badged Sanyos, they only use the highest quality yielding projectors. Also, from what I've read on these threads, their customer support and warranty (i.e. dead pixel policy) is second to none. What does this really mean? I don't know. Is it worth the premium price over the original? Dunno

I was a little skeptical about the price of this projector. I've read that it will be competitive with the HS20. Being a Matterhorn and Studio Experience Brand, I find this really hard to believe. I guess we'll see when people start jumping in.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Too bad it is Matterhorn, which really seems like a step backwards. TI would have been smarter to find ways to increase volume on their HD res chips and lower prices.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Uther,

This is true, but it seems that it would at least put a DLP product in the lower price range.

Okay, there's the NEC 240/260 and the X1, but they've all got 2X color wheels.

I hope this starts more competition for the XGA DLP pjs. If one manufacturer starts this, there are sure to be a few more to follow.

Such as the BenQ PB6200. I understand that's around the price of a Z2 and it's an XGA res. DLP, but I don't know the color wheel type and speed with that either.

time will be on our side I hope.

Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello,

I too am interested in the Studio Experience 30HD. I have been shopping for a front projector for the past couple of months (for a purchase in the March time frame) and had narrowed my choice down to the Sanyo PLV-Z2 or the Infocus Screenplay 4805. I know one is a LCD and one is a DLP but I have no preference for either technology and for me it comes down to picture quality vs. price vs. weighing the individual pros and cons of LCD over DLP. Anyway, the 30HD looks very promising, however, I have a few questions. I plan on contacting them myself, but I thought I would publish my questions here so others might ask as well to ensure we get answers:

1) Regarding the DVI input. Does it expect the Digital Video Standard (16-235) or the Digital PC Standard (0-255)? In the Digital Video Standard 16 = black and 235 = white. In the Digital PC Standard 0 = black and 255 = white.

2) When using the DVI input are the brightness and contrast levels adjustable?

3) Will there be a 'through' mode that will allow the ability to feed the 30HD a 1024x576 signal that will allow for 1:1 pixel mapping and will bypass the internal scaler COMPLETELY. The reason I emphasize the word 'completely' is that it is my understanding that many front projectors (such as the Infocus Screenplay 5700) even when in 'through' mode still routes signals through their scalers causing additional unnecessary scaling.

4) Wheel speed and number of segments.

5) Expected launch date and M.S.R.P.

There you have it.

Looking forward to learning more about this projector! :)

Regards,

EmoryS

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenfrancis
I'm not quite sure of the MSRP or their price but I plan to call on Monday. If what I've read is correct, and this thing should fit between the Sanyo Z2 and Sony HS20 in price, it is going to be a killer product!
I would be surprised if the street price was between these other two. The Z2 has an MSRP of $2995 and I would be surprised if you could get a 30HD anytime soon for less than that. I would like to see that kind of pricing, but the Matterhorn competition doesn't seem to dictate that they need to go there.

As far as the wheel, I would be surprised if any Matterhorn projector was anything other than 6 segment and 5x. Just like all the HD2s were 6 segment and 5x. I believe that TI basically provides the components that make that the only logical choice for Matterhorn projectors at this time.

--Darin

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
Too bad it is Matterhorn, which really seems like a step back-wards. TI would have been smarter to find ways to increase volume on their HD res chips and lower prices.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. 1024x576 is still many more pixels than 854x480 ala Infocus 4805. The point I'm trying to make is that resolution (or lack of) only becomes an issue when scaling down higher resolution sources such as HDTV. Since all digital projectors are fixed resolution, scaling must occur to get the resolution down to display on these digital projectors.

Since scaling will almost always have to occur in some form for digital projection, its best to get as many pixels as you can. Pump that 1080i signal into your Z2 and your scaling down to 720 lines. People shouldn't get all bent out of shape out with resolution. Have you seen HD on a Z1 or X1?

Since scalers are becoming so good, I tend not to focus on resolution. I put more emphasis on contrast ratio and pixel spacing these days. I made a big stink about this with the Infocus Screenplay 4805 thread.

Until all pjs are 1080 lines and all HD is 1080 lines, scaling will have to happen.

Besides, Matterhorn projectors like the Infocus Screenplay 5700 are FABULOUS! If we can get that performance for less than $3000, I can't wait!

Steve

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz

SE's HD2 is made by Nexgen, so that seems a liklier source than Sanyo.
Yes, it is a Nexgen projector.... I had a chance to see it in Nexgen's suite at CES.

I am sorry I cannot give you any details, but I am a complete newbie to the projector world... I was just running around CES letting my own eyes see as many projectors as I could so I could identify what all of you other folks were discussing. (I still did not see anything I could identify as vertical banding, but I did see screendoor!)

You can read on this forum for weeks about everyone's opinion, but there is absolutely no substitute for viewing with your own eyes.... vision I guess is actually subjective as is sound.

SE did not have one in their suite, but the Nexgen folks did... unfortunately it was just a "beta" version and not calibrated at all from what I could tell.

Wish I could toss out more bones, but there you have it!

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad news people!

This isn't going to be as great a deal as expected. I just got off the phone with Studio Experience. Chad informed me that the projector will be released with an MSRP of $4999. Even with the adjustment for street pricing, this thing won't come close to the price of an HS20.

So, it will be competitively priced with the Infocus Screenplay 5700, another Matterhorn projector.

Also, he had no information on the color wheel refresh.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
If this is true the entire thread should probably be moved into the higher $ MSRP forum.

Oh well. Enough for the 'deal' projector.

This just continues to reinforce my thoughts about the Z2.

Can't be beat for the price.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I don't ever see SE offering a price leading PJ. They OEM equipment and add superior packaging, warranty and other features. With SE you pay more for those features.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz
I doubt it's a Sanyo, as they have yet to announce a DLP, but I suppose this could be their first.
Just an FYI ... I was under the impression (from our Sanyo Rep) that Sanyo would be releasing a DLP projector some time this year?

I was told it would be called a PLV-D1 (to follow the Z1, Z2 sequencing).

Searching the internet finds PLV-D1 ... but nothing in English.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wonder if SE might reconsider the MSRP on this projector if the rumors are correct about IF reducing the 5700's MSRP to $3999.

Why only 800 ANSI lumens when other Matterhorns are coming out with 1000 ANSI lumens. Any thoughts about this one? Also does anyone know about the throw ratio, long or short?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Steve, unfortunately, I have to disagree with you.

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. 1024x576 is still many more pixels than 854x480 ala Infocus 4805. The point I'm trying to make is that resolution (or lack of) only becomes an issue when scaling down higher resolution sources such as HDTV. Since all digital projectors are fixed resolution, scaling must occur to get the resolution down to display on these digital projectors.
You are absolutely correct that 1024 x 576 is greater than 854 x 480, it's also greater than the 640 x 480 PJs of a few years ago - what's your point? My point is that it is a step backwards to release a NEW chip at 1024 x 576 when 1280 x 720 DLP chips have been around for three years, ala the HD1. TI would have been smarter to tweak the HD1 chips, or some variant thereof, to provide HD resolution at a lower price point similar to the strategy Intel uses between the Pentium and Celeron processors.

As for scaling, if you have a 720 line resolution PJ, chances are good that you are not running 1080i sources into it. Why would you and deal with the scaling? 720P is considered HD, just like 1080i. In fact, a number of people argue that 720P actually provides more resolution since 1080 is really two 540 line signlas that must be interlaced. Yes, scalars are better today than they used to be, but the fact is that they are still scaling. Scaling is nothing more than a chip interpolating what the missing line should be and at times, this interpolation will be wrong. On the other hand, sending a signal with your PJs native display format leaves no need for scaling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.