AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email from Studio Experience which says the following ...

"There are no units available for immediate purchase, anywhere. We have one shipment due in February and that is what you would be purchasing from.

This will be our last shipment of the 2HD and we will not be offering anymore.

The isn't a demo unit anywhere either, this has been a very hot projector and our dealers have presold almost every unit. XYZ Corp put in a large order and have a couple 2HD that they haven't presold yet but that want last long. "

Is there something we are not being told about the Z2s future that is effecting SE's 2HD? I have wrote back to the rep from SE and asked for a clarification on what seems to be a statement saying they will no longer offer this projector...which he just in the same statement says has been a huge success.

So what gives? Has anyone heard if this is true? I suppose it's possible that this person is wrong, or that I misunderstood his statement.

Jason

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That person was correct. In fact this is actually old news. As they mentioned the SE2HD/Z2 are selling like crazy and as such Sanyo is concentrating more on their own Z2 than the SE2HD. Boxlight is discontinuing the PJ because of lack of supply.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is why the Z2 is being offered in some places with a 3 year warranty now? I haven't seen their lamp warranty extended to 120 days yet.

I feel stupid if it's old news and it has already been posted before.

I didn't realize this.

sorry.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Don't feel too bad.. I think the thread that had this discussion in it (about 6 weeks ago) got nuked. So.. might as well have another so everyone knows for sure. The upside is that SE has a great reputation and has repeatedly stated that the 2HDs will have full support for the life of their warranty.

RG

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if the Z2 prices will fall a little if there are more on the market.

J.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
no need to feel stupid!! As mentioned the original thread is long gone. I'm actually surprised it took this long before another one emerged. I didnt know that some places now offer 3 years warranty on the Z2's! Thats good news! Unfortunately marketing rules usually mean that a product in demand will command a higher price, lets hope this doesnt hold true ;).

·
Registered
10 Posts
my last email from studio experience's distribution account manager couldn't tell me when the next shipment of 2HDs would be but she did say they plan to fill all current preorders. she didn't mention that they would cancel the 2HD but then again i didn't ask specifically

·
Registered
452 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but the 3year warranty is standard on the Z2 from Sanyo (at least according to their product spec sheet) with 90 days on the bulb...

OT - Anyone know where I can find a PDF of the Z2 owner's manual? I've tried searching the forum but can't find any links to one. TIA.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sanyo originally came with a 2 year warranty. 90 days bulb.

The SE Matinee 2HD came with a 3 year warranty. 120 days bulb.

significant difference. maybe even worth the extra 1-2 hundred bucks.

The person speaking with me via email is the north-east sales manager for SE. I take his word as good.

Demand will keep prices high for now, but hopefully it will also introduce more retailers and eventually, when the initial demand evens out, offer a small discount on products waiting for an owner. Things keep getting more and more competitive. you can get a PLV-70 for like $4500 now. I wish I had that much money in my budget. It would be a clear choice. But what's going to come out at CES this year in September? Keeps me wondering.

I really wonder if the projector market is going the way of the pc market...replacement every 6 months or every 12 months. It sure seems that way as I reflect on the past few years.

Jason

·
Registered
370 Posts
Actually, there was a rumour for a little while that there would be only 50 SE2HD's produced in total! I thought mine would be a big collector's item...but then they started shipping some more.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J Borsh
The Sanyo originally came with a 2 year warranty. 90 days bulb.

The SE Matinee 2HD came with a 3 year warranty. 120 days bulb.

significant difference. maybe even worth the extra 1-2 hundred bucks.
Both dealers I was looking at sold the SE2HD for $50 less than the Z2

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dd2
Maybe I'm missing something, but the 3year warranty is standard on the Z2 from Sanyo (at least according to their product spec sheet) with 90 days on the bulb...

OT - Anyone know where I can find a PDF of the Z2 owner's manual? I've tried searching the forum but can't find any links to one. TIA.
The place I ordered my Z2 from said the standard warrenty is 3 Year Parts and Labor and 90 Days on the lamp. You can get a copy of the manual in zip format from the site I'm building under the "LINKS" menu.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
SE is not even keeping a spare on hand in case they have to replace a unit. When I sent mine in to have them look at the VB, they said if it was beyond fixing, they could not replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Marissadad, did they say what they would've done if it was beyond fixing? i was told before i received mine that they would either keep a couple on hand or replace it with a z2. should've gotten it in writing.

btw i saw your vb picts and all i can say is that if everyone else doesn't have that issue, then its a problem with your unit. plain and simple. good luck with the service/factory settings!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
They didn't say, I don't know what they would do if they had one that was beyond fixing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tup
Actually, there was a rumour for a little while that there would be only 50 SE2HD's produced in total! I thought mine would be a big collector's item...but then they started shipping some more.
Actually, the rumor came as fact from the West Coast Distributor at SE!!!

·
Banned
5 Posts
I spoke to a dealer who is supposed to get another 10 units in in Feb timeframe. It isnt a done deal, but I am getting in on the action while it is still around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
SE is not even keeping a spare on hand in case they have to replace a unit. When I sent mine in to have them look at the VB, they said if it was beyond fixing, they could not replace it.
That doesnt sound very good, I thought the purpose of going with the SE (other than black) was the better warranty and service? (albeit it looks like the only warranty difference if I understand right is the dead pixel count/colors)

Good luck with your unit.

-pd

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ive had a SE2HD on preorder since Dec. 23rd. Mine will hopefully ship next monday or tuesday...thats what Carol over at Studio Experience said. She said that date was firm so I hope I acutally get my first PJ soon. Ive already made CC payments and I don't even have the darn thing yet!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.