AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am in the market for a set of studio monitors. I am going to be using them with my computer in nearfield environments for music and movies. I am thinking around $300 max. So far I am thinking about the M-audio BX5a's, or some Samson monitors.

Also, I am using a creative EMU 0404 soundcard with a set of 1/4" mono's....how would I hook studio monitors up to this card?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks a lot :)

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinith
creative EMU 0404 soundcard with a set of 1/4" mono's....how would I hook studio monitors up to this card?
You can get appropriate adapters at Radio Shack.

Regarding your other question, there are some guys here using studio monitors (Mackies, JM Labs, etc) but truth be told this is a home theater forum and most folks are using traditional consumer speakers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Also, I am using a creative EMU 0404 soundcard with a set of 1/4" mono's....how would I hook studio monitors up to this card?
Hello Xinith:

Typically most studio monitors will have XLR inputs and some may also include a 1/4" TRS and RCA type inputs. So, all you need is 1/4" TRS cable, or 1/4" TRS to XLR male cable. Any shop that sells professional studio monitors (Guitar Center etc) should be able to help you with getting the right cable for your sound card and monitors.

Cheers!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Xinith:

I have a pair of Tapco S5's that are about 1 year old. They were babied - bedroom system used for background music. They are in mint condition. I have original boxes and manuals. I will sell to you for $250.00 ground shipping included in price.

Email me if you are interested. [email protected] . Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Rich B.

Ampboy1 = Ebay name for references.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you want some really good sounding studio monitors for your use. Check out Event Reference 5's or 8's. I have the Ref. 5's and I using a Creative Audigy 2 zs card. I spend a lot of time in the office listening to music and a DVD once in a while. These monitors, blow me away on a daily basis, for Blues, Jazz and Rock there perfect.

Event

Redhouse

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Other's have given some really good advice, but I'd like to offer up one more potential solution. Have you thought about a custom breakout cable for your 0404? (Great card by the way! :D) I didn't want to hassle with the 1/4" mono plugs, and I wasn't really confident with the flimsy stock breakout. I ended up going with a custom made breakout cable from Fid-Audio . I'm quite pleased with the quality of the connectors and cabling, and it replaced those 1/4'' mono's with a pair of male RCA's to plug right into my headphone amp or reciever.

Another place I've found for custom EMU breakouts is Headphile.com . Larry is well known for his work on custom "woodied" headphones and recables, but he also makes a mean breakout for your particular soundcard. I think I even read that he can terminate the cables in XLR's for you to plug straight into your monitors.

Just some food for thought...good luck!

Andrew

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, thanks a lot for all the info man, its very useful. I don't have the studio monitors yet, but I already bought some adapters for my emu 0404 to use with my current setup. when i get my studio monitors, i think ill either make an interconnect, or just make my self a breakout cable. i remember reading a tutorial somewhere on how to make one...it didn't seem to difficult, i think i can probably do it. anyhow, if i were to use the standard breakout cables on the emu 0404, i would need a 1/4 stereo to 2 1/4" mono to use with most studio monitors.

Thanks a lot for the advice on the Event monitors. I have heard there pretty awesome for the price. I saw on newegg that they had the m-audio bx8a's going for about $340 or so which seemed like a really sweet deal to me. Samson seems pretty decent for the price, and they are on sale on most sites, so thats pretty tempting too... i would like to keep it under $300, but if there is an awesome deal for a bit more, ill take it.

Also, I haven't been very up to date on computer audio since the emu 0404 was the best option for two channel music and movies at under $100. has anything changed? how does the X fi series of cards compete? did some super card come out that i am not aware of :eek:

I want to thank all of you for the advice and info

·
Registered
591 Posts
Interestingly enough I noticed Emu has new studio monitors in the price range you are talking about. See their website. The unfortunate thing is you really have to hear the speakers on any product to see if you like them. That is fairly easy with some brands if you have a music store near you. Edirol/Roland makes nice stuff too, although the power level is not that high in this price range.

My feeling is that you will want at least a 5" woofer part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.