AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a sub to a pair of JBL LSR 305 monitors. I searched the forums for a few of the subs I am considering such as the Behringer NEKKST K10S. As I didn't get many search results, I decided to open a thread and ask for your help directly. (Full disclosure: I am also considering the JBL LSR 310 S. I did find a bit more info on the LSR 310 S.)

I don't have an AVR and intend to rely on the sub's built-in crossover. My source is a small digital DJ mixer which only has balanced XLR and TRS outs. So I think looking for a studio sub with balanced ins and outs makes sense.

1. Budget. My budget is 500 € max (in my experience, that translates to roughly $ 500 max in the US).
2. Size requirements. I have space for a 10" sub but I don't think I could fit a 12".
3. Room dimensions. The room is approx. 20 m^2 (or 220 sq ft). It's a cellar room with low ceiling.
4. Primary uses. 80% music (primarily music listening, occasionally DJing; no production use), 20% watching Blu Rays/HD videos.
5. Listening habits. I'm not really knowledgable about SPLs. Perhaps I need around 90 dB(A)? I do like to turn it up a bit above usual room volume levels, but I don't require ear-shattering/party level SPLs.
6. Appearance requirements. No particular requirements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have noted that I am cross-posting this from HA, as this may be a more suitable place to ask. Apologies if anybody sees this question twice (I slightly changed my setup since posting on HA).

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,724 Posts
You don't need to limit your search to subs that have either an XLR or TRS input. There are adapter cables of all sorts available, so it stands to reason you should be able to use almost any sub with the appropriate cable.

Since you're looking for a studio monitor sub and quoting prices in Euro's you might find that suggestions are few and far between on AVS. Most folks are HT oriented and US centric, both of which are opposite of what you need. Be that as it may... why specifically a "studio monitor" style of subwoofer? Because of the high-level outputs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you're looking for a studio monitor sub and quoting prices in Euro's you might find that suggestions are few and far between on AVS. Most folks are HT oriented and US centric, both of which are opposite of what you need.
Point taken. My rationale for posting here was that I stumbled across this forum a few times via Google searches and liked it. You know, more hands-on than a theory-ladden place like Hydrogenaudio but people still value specs, measurements, and such. Seemed more suitable to me than the highly subjective discussion I've witnessed in DJ as well as audiophile forums.

Be that as it may... why specifically a "studio monitor" style of subwoofer? Because of the high-level outputs?
No, not because of the high-level outputs. Actually, I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps it's a silly restriction.

Well, for one, I thought a studio sub is convenient (my mixer and my front monitors all provide balanced connections).

For another, I notice that most people which use a regular (non-studio) sub have an AVR with lots of options to play with (crossover frequency, room adjustment, polarity, etc.). Perhaps incorrectly, I conjectured a studio sub makes more sense in my setup with AVR and without speaker management system.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,724 Posts
Are SVS subwoofers available in your area? If so, the SB1000 is a highly regarded unit. It's uses a 12" driver but it is very small, so perhaps that might work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts