AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have lost all faith in StudioCanal, I wish that these discs live up to the Films that get put on them

All info from Blu-ray.com

Le cercle rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1970)

Delicatessen (Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, 1991)

The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)

Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

The Pianist (Roman Polanski, 2002)

The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949).

Quote:
Special features include:

Breathless

Introduction by Colin McCabe (4'42)

Godard, Made in USA (48'; in HD)

Room 12, Hôtel de Suède (1h18')

Jean-Luc According To Luc (8')

Photo gallery

Trailer (2'05)

Poster

Booklet essay by journalist Yves Alion

The Cercle Rouge

Introduction by Ginette Vincendeau (12') (SD)

Codename Melville: documentary directed by Olivier Bohler (76')

Interview with José Giovanni (15')

Interview with Rui Nogueira (author of Melville on Melville, produced by the Criterion Collection) (26')

Interview with assistant director Bernard Stora (30')

Trailer (1')

Booklet essay by professor/author Ginette Vincendeau

Delicatessen

Audio Commentary by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Main Course Pieces: brand new retrospective documentary (1h5')

The Archives of Jean-Pierre Jeunet: casting tests, rehearsals, behind the scenes, etc. (8')

Making Of: Fine Cooker Pork Meats (13')

Trailer (2')

Teasers (1')

Booklet essay by journalist Adam Woodward

The Graduate

Audio Commentary with Prof. Koebner, film historian

About the Music: analysis of music by Prof.Koebner & music professor & author Helga La Motte-Haber (7')

Analysis of the Seduction Scene (12')

Trailer (1'48")

The Graduate at 25 (22')

Interview with Charles Webb (20')

The Graduate: Looking Back (12.56)

The Music in the Film: 4 tracks as they appear in the film (HD) (in HD):

The Sound of Silence

April Come She Will

Scarborough Fair

Mrs. Robinson

Booklet essay by writer and director Marc Webb

Mulholland Drive

Angelo Badalamenti: audio interview 10 years on (16'30; audio only)

Back to Mulholland Drive (21') (new)

Introduction by Thierry Jousse (10'; in HD)

In the Blue Box: retrospective documentary featuring directors and critics (27'; in HD)

Interview with Angelo Badalamenti (16')

Interview with Mary Sweeney (Editor and Producer) (6')

Making of (23')

Booklet essay by journalist Adam Woodward

The Pianist

Interview with Ronald Harwood (20')

Interview with Andrzej Szpilman (29')

Interview with Daniel Szpilman (2'28")

A Story of Survival: behind the scenes of The Pianist (39'43")

Trailer (1'30")

Booklet essay by journalist Anwar Brett

The Third Man

Audio commentary by Guy Hamilton (assistant director), Angela Allen (2nd unit continuity) & Simon Callow

Guardian NFT interviews (audio only):

Joseph Cotten (47')

Graham Greene (8')

Two original trailers (1'46" & 2'19"; in HD)

Stills gallery (2'24"; in HD)

Interview and performance by zither player Cornelia Mayer (4'44"; in HD)

The Third Man Interactive Vienna Tour (49'50"; in HD)

The Third Man on the Radio (an episode of The Lives of Harry Lime: Ticket to Tangiers (1951) written by and performed by Orson Welles) (28'45"; audio only)

Shadowing The Third Man: retrospective documentary (1'29")

US alternative prologue by Joseph Cotten (1'20")

Booklet essay by film historian and biographer Charles Drazin
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4995

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
That's a nice looking set for Mulholland Drive...

Too bad everything in the StudioCanal Collection has scared me off pretty thoroughly. Ran and The Ladykillers are both messes and Contempt was uneven.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18543349

Too bad everything in the StudioCanal Collection has scared me off pretty thoroughly. Ran and The Ladykillers are both messes and Contempt was uneven.

Belle de Jour? The Elephant Man? The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum? Last Year in Marienbad?

These are all great discs. Studio Canal Collection is pretty unstable quality-wise.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt /forum/post/18543371

Belle de Jour? The Elephant Man? The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum? Last Year in Marienbad?

These are all great discs. Studio Canal Collection is pretty unstable quality-wise.

I can only judge the US releases. Last Year in Marienbad was Criterion over here and AFAIK, the other titles aren't available.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt /forum/post/18543371

Unstable is a great word for what they put out, For every Big Blue there is a La Haine/Near Dark

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Studio Canal DVD of Mulholland Drive is not a great transfer, so if this is a straight port from DVD to Blu, I don't hold great hopes for the quality of the transfer.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwrt /forum/post/18546072

The Studio Canal DVD of Mulholland Drive is not a great transfer, so if this is a straight port from DVD to Blu, I don't hold great hopes for the quality of the transfer.

Do you mean the HD DVD? That was okay as far as picture quality, but it had the PAL speed-up issue on the audio. I hope they fix this on the blu-ray.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also Coming to the US from Lionsgate!

Quote:
Delicatessen

Director audio commentary

New retrospective documentary with Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Making-of featurette

The Archives of Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Twenty-page collectible booklet written by Empire contributing editor Kim Newman

The Third Man

New audio commentary with assistant director Guy Hamilton, actor Simon Callow and crew member Angela Allen

The Third Man interactive Vienna Tour

The Third Man on the Radio – audio interviews with Joseph Cotten and Graham Greene

Alternative opening with Joseph Cotton voiceover

Interview with and zither performance by Cornelia Mayer

Stills gallery

Original trailers

Twenty-page collectible booklet written by film historian Charles Drazin
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4828

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Studio Canal Collection has certainly been a mixed bag, but they've had some pretty good releases. The Elephant Man, Last Year at Marienbad, Pierrot Le Fou, Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Belle de jour, The Go Between, and for the most part The Ladykillers (Despite it's overblown whites) They're no Criterion but then again, who is?

Virtually all of these upcoming discs I want. If they're going to muck up some of the releases, hopefully it's only one or two. I can look past a crummy release when there's a great release to balance it out.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
 Home Cinema Choice posted some shots from the new StudioCanal version of The Third Man a few days ago. Quick comparison with the Criterion Blu-ray (on the right):

The Criterion shows more grain, and has slightly different framing and black/white levels. In addition the StudioCanal encode seems to have some weird sort of vertical high-frequency noise in the darker sections, not unlike some of the Blue Underground titles. I'm glad I got in on the Criterion in time (and in the plastic case to boot.)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The Studio Canal Collection version appears to have been degrained, and to have lost significant small object detail in the process. Just looking at the texture and visible detail on clothing and hair makes this remarkably clear.

Glad I have the Criterion Collection version.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi /forum/post/18866204

The Studio Canal Collection has certainly been a mixed bag, but they've had some pretty good releases. The Elephant Man, Last Year at Marienbad, Pierrot Le Fou, Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Belle de jour, The Go Between, and for the most part The Ladykillers (Despite it's overblown whites) They're no Criterion but then again, who is?

Virtually all of these upcoming discs I want. If they're going to muck up some of the releases, hopefully it's only one or two. I can look past a crummy release when there's a great release to balance it out.

You don't have to be Criterion to decide that you're not going to blow out the contrast while adding DNR or even EE to the source material.

The Criterion Collection version of Pierrot Le Fou appears to be superior as well, though it's in the realm of color timing for that release as there was nothing to complain about as far as detail went with the SCC version.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/19034513

Home Cinema Choice posted some shots from the new StudioCanal version of The Third Man a few days ago. Quick comparison with the Criterion Blu-ray (on the right):

Huge failure on StudioCanal's part. They definitely used an older, inferior transfer. Also in that link, they reused their craptacular, ancient Graduate transfer. MGMs transfer for the Graduate is world's better.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/19034513

Home Cinema Choice posted some shots from the new StudioCanal version of The Third Man a few days ago.

There are also screenshots from several other releases, including Mulholland Drive. I haven't seen the HD-DVD and I can't comment with any real authority but the screenshots looked pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/19035484

There are also screenshots from several other releases, including Mulholland Drive. I haven't seen the HD-DVD and I can't comment with any real authority but the screenshots looked pretty good to me.

I agree, it seems to look good.

I hate both the cover and the book type packaging, and it's pretty expensive, but I don't know if I can wait for Universal to release it in the US. Might turn into another Deer Hunter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For some reason, the French DVD of Mulholland always looked pretty crappy (the US release was pretty good imo), so if they just port that over to the Blu-Ray I will say non. Nice lookin' thread, though mike

1 - 20 of 61 Posts