AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the screens section, but that section is dead usually, so posting here too...

And maybe I'm missing something, but for most of my seats, its darker with the 130 than the 100???

The image is being projected on a white sheet on the wall, the sample patch of the StudioTek 100 is on the top, the 130 on the bottom.

The projector lens is sitting at the very bottom of the screen, the screen is about 42 inches above the floor. Head height when reclined is about 41 inches. Patches are about 18 and 27 inches above the bottom of the screen.

This is standing up, higher than anyone would sit, about 70 inches. The only situation where the 130 is brighter than the 100:

Sitting in the far seated position, about 30 degrees off angle, bottom is darker than the top:

Sitting in the seat right beside center, about 20-30 degrees off angle, again bottom is darker than the top by a tiny bit:

What is going on here, I was expecting the 130 to be brighter than the 100 for everyone. If this really is how it performs, I'll be getting the 100.

One difference is that my projector will be ceiling mounted once I'm done construction. So the projector will be shining from the top of the screen instead of the bottom, will that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Angle of incidence, angle of reflection thingy. Yes it will make a difference. You wanna fiddle around like this, put your projector where it will go in the end and put your camera where the eyeballs will be.

Unless you are building a black room, the StudioTek 100 will result in a lower in room ANSI Contrast ratio.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My room will be a bat cave. I tried running an experiment where I went up on the ladder and put my eyes at the top of the screen leaving the projector where it is (did this instead of putting the projector up where it would be mounted since I don't have a way to do this right now). I moved the ladder around to different seating positions and had my wife move the samples around the screen. Almost everywhere the 130 was brighter, except when you are sitting off center, looking at the opposite side of the screen closer to the top. Then the 100 was brighter.

I will be going with the 130 since it is clearly brighter for the main sitting location and for the seats right beside it. The seat 2 away which is near the wall won't be used much, so I don't care that it will suffer a little as a result.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.