AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
They are looking at this completely the wrong way - most 35 year old males are overweight and depressed. Gamers at least are playing games.

These days I'm 35, getting fatter due to super-long work hours (thank you financial crisis), trying to maintain family life with very young kids and have no time for games. I'll gladly trade a bit of my extroversion for time to sit on the couch and play.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A total misapplication of statistics.

What the survey is really saying is half the players are under 30, flat suicidal slugs and the other half are over 40 lean and trim and happily married.

Average it out and you get the misleading result.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB /forum/post/17023716

They are looking at this completely the wrong way - most 35 year old males are overweight and depressed. Gamers at least are playing games.

These days I'm 35, getting fatter due to super-long work hours (thank you financial crisis), trying to maintain family life with very young kids and have no time for games. I'll gladly trade a bit of my extroversion for time to sit on the couch and play.

Well said one of the first things I thought was pretty much every 35 year old male I know is depressed and overweight. Midlife crisis has been around alot longer than videogames. Thats for sure.

Think of videogames as a poor mans Corvette. You can still drive it, just only in your living room.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/17022893

They're overweight and tend to be depressed.

Is that "gamer"? Sounds like the average citizen to me!

I was 10lbs overweight at my last physical!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/17025160

A total misapplication of statistics.

What the survey is really saying is half the players are under 30, flat suicidal slugs and the other half are over 40 lean and trim and happily married.

Average it out and you get the misleading result.

Well I am 43...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hell the average person is overweight and depressed. Leave gaming out of it.

I'm 48 and skinny

·
Banned
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/17022893

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32463904...science-games/

A new study says the average age of video-game players in the United States is 35, and oh, by the way: They're overweight and tend to be depressed.

Yeah, this means you!!!

THOSE IDIOTS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Signed,

40, overweight and depressed.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Uggh, this "everyone is depressed" crap is getting stale. How did we as a human race survive until the Prozac craze? I'm just going to dismiss that portion without further thought.

I am 35 and overweight, I also am active in multiple sports leagues and ride a bike 70 miles a week on average. I, like many Americans, tend to eat poorly thanks to an over reliance on fast food. I work on this but when my wife got pregnant with our first child we found ourselves with a lot less free time to cook every meal at home and have started going out more often. Plus in an unusually hot summer I may have over indulged in the ice cream department. I don't think it has anything to do with my gaming - I actually eat less when I gaming heavily.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Saddles /forum/post/17026315

THOSE IDIOTS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Signed,

40, overweight and depressed.

Ditto, I won't be depressed when my divorce is final though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.