AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out exactly what audio format the Echo uses for its toslink output. When I connect a toslink cable to my denon avr, the denon says it is a 2-channel, 48khz PCM signal. However, I have several digital to analog audio adapters and none of them will convert the audio from the echo to analog audio. The only way I can convert the signal to analog audio is by using a dolby digital decoder. If the Echo is outputting a proper, uncompressed PCM signal then any cheap digital to analog adapter should be able to convert it.

My audio distribution system (Zektor ProAudio 16) only accepts 2-channel PCM signals. It then converts the signal to analog to feed multi-zone amplifiers. Just like the other digital to analog adapters I have tried, the Zektor system cannot convert the audio from the Echo.

The above tests lead me to believe that there is something wonky with the toslink audio output from the Echo.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could further determine what the problem is with the signal from the Echo?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Did you go into the Echo settings in Extras and set it for Dolby Digital output? You can get DD directly that way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1501613/stumped-by-2-channel-pcm...eton-echo-media-center-extender#post_23993578

Did you go into the Echo settings in Extras and set it for Dolby Digital output? You can get DD directly that way.

To clarify - I am trying to get 2 channel PCM, not DD. But yes, I have tried toggling the ac3 bit-streaming option in the Echo's settings plugin and that hasn't helped.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I only use my echo directly connected to a TV in my Kitchen (although I have a second that will be connected to another TV with and AVR soon) so it has been set to ac3 output to the TV and been working fine. I am sorry but I cannot assist further. I was going to refer you to the echo section over at thegreenbutton.tv but see you have already posted there. I bet your answer comes from there rather than from here. You may also want to open a support ticket with ceton.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts