AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First: yes I have searched the archives! I have tried everything I could find in there. So please bear with me because this is not as simple as it may appear.

The problem is that I can hear windows sounds through the SPDIF out, I can hear Dolby ProLogic through the SPDIF out by selecting "Wave Out" under Power DVD, but if I choose "Use SPDIF Output", there is no sound.

The most annoying thing is that I have had this system for over a year, and everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to WinXP, couldn't get it to work, switched my hardware around a little trying to get it to work, then restored my Win98SE install via ghost, and now I cannot get it to work again. In fact this is the exact problem I had under XP that caused me to switch back. I restored using a Ghost image of my old system, so all the drivers and software versions are the same as when they were working. Of course since I moved the Audiophile to a new PCI slot, it re-detected on the first boot to 98SE, and reset all the driver options to default. I have since followed Cliff's notes on setting up the 24/96 sound card. The options are set exactly as specified on the DC website. I am using the 4.1.22.27 drivers. I also have the WaveOut SPDIF Delta AP selected as my preferred output device (which is why windows sounds and wave files play just fine, as does WaveOut mode in PowerDVD).

I have tried all the available PCI slots on my motherboard.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know... I'm at my wits end.

Thanks,

Nathan :confused:

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Nathan,

Set the PowerDVD audio output to WaveOut S/PDIF and start a DVD in AC-3 mode. With the DVD playing open the Delta Control Panel and check the volume indicator for S/PDIF. This will help determine if the problem is with PowerDVD or the soundcard.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had this same problem with PowerDVD 3 - Except I was using Win2K and had a C-Media board.

Basically, PowerDVD doesn't support SPDIF out under Win2K/XP. I e-mailed them about this problem, and thats what the told me. Nice.

Like you, I could hear wav, mp3, and CD-audio fine through the SPDIF out - but nothing from PowerDVD when SPDIF was checked.

I then tried WinDVD 3, and SPDIF out worked perfectly. I think it's simply an issue with Power DVD.

I did get my SB Live! in my other computer to output SPDIF through PowerDVD though...

I noticed that PowerDVD didn't recognize any SPDIF or display device under the hardware tab of the program....however, it did let me select SPDIF out from the audio tab....very weird.

Basically, I'm forced to use WinDVD, but I have grown to like it better, since I think the P/Q is much better.....Much less "crawlies". The only thing I miss from PowerDVD is the ability to select different resolutions for 4x3 and 16x9 material...and the sound quality seemed a tad bit better...

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
In your spdif settings on the audiophile card, click advanced and then choose non-audio. this might be the problem. I didn't read that in your original post.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thank you all for the quick replies! This problem is driving me crazy and I cannot rest until my system is working again.

Cliff: I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Set the PowerDVD audio output to WaveOut S/PDIF and start a DVD in AC-3 mode". The only options I see under the PowerDVD audio tab are "Use WaveOut" or "Use SPDIF Output". If I choose "Use WaveOut", I hear sound, and the MonitorMixer->Waveout SPDIF volume bars look right, but it is Dolby Pro Logic, even on an AC-3 DVD. If I choose "Use SPDIF Output", there is no sound whatsoever, and the MonitorMixer->Waveout SPDIF volume bars are pegged to full volume continuously, which also wouldn't surprise me since the card should be sending a data stream, not sound waveforms. But no sound comes from my speakers. I really think everything on my computer is working _exactly_ the same as it was before when the DD 5.1 worked :( Any other ideas? Oh yeah, my Receiver indicates that the SPDIF in has a lock, and other DD5.1 sound sources work fine.

Ryan: I suspect your problem is Win2k-related, since I've read other archive posts about seeing your problem under 2k and using WinDVD to solve it. Mine is something else, b/c I'm using 98SE (and I tried WinDVD... same problem :)

Paul: Yep, I tried everything: Consumer/Audio, Consumer/Non-Audio, Professional/Audio, and Professional/Non-Audio. Right now it's set to Consumer/Non-Audio b/c that's what I had it set to before when it was working.

So, I'm beginning to wonder if there is something messed up with my receiver's SPDIF input... the only other DD 5.1 sound sources I have are TosLink, and they play fine. Everything except digitally encoded audio comes through my speakers... and the fact that the volume bars are pegged during "SPDIF Output" playback under PowerDVD seems to indicate that everything up to the card is working. Argh, maybe I'll just go through my Denon receiver manual and set everything settable to all the possible settings ;)

Thanks again for the help,

Nathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.