AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can provide some suggestions or ideas on what might be wrong - I have 4 RTV 4080's - 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. They have been working fine for almost two years now. (Ok had to re-image 2 of them after disk crashes, but other than that...).

All of a sudden the 2 upstairs units won't play anything from the 2 downstairs units and vice-versa. The 2 upstairs will play from each other, and the 2 downstairs will play from each other. They ALL "see" each other. Load each other's menus. They all update over the internet network (the gateway is upstairs). I have tried rebooting, forcing the "time sync" by doing the 243-z, etc. They see each other's shows but won't play.

I've verified they're all on the same software release (350 - Jan 20), and am now stumped. I've even power-cycled the switches they're going thru - but everything else on the network is fine, and they do see each other, and the do update the guides, etc. so it doesn't "seem" to be a lack of network conectivity... ? anyone have any ideas? ReplayRichard? ReplayLyndon? Anyone?

:( :confused: :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you using static IP addresses on a network where DHCP is available? That one has caused very similar issues with other posters on this board several times. The trouble seems to be that the unit shows the static address and that is the address your other units try to stream from, where in reality the unit has obtained a different address from DHCP (most router/bridges include DHCP).

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Two downstairs play to each other ok, two upstairs play to each other ok too?

What's your wiring look like? I suspect this, you may have a bad switch or wire something in the mix that's slowing down transfer rate between floors.

Are the different floor playback giving you an error or something?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Easy test may be to take one from upstairs and put it downstairs (if you can do so fairly easily) or at least maybe move one of them onto another switch / cat 5 cable run.

I agree that it may be a cable thang.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check any patch cables first. They are the cheapest thins to fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I took a closer look at the network switches. Both 100mb switches (one upstairs, one downstairs - not hubs) and though they "seemed" to be working, it turned out that there is indeed some kind of lag between the two. Now I have to fugure out WHY - The cabling is all Cat-5e and spcifically routed away from sources of interference (i.e. flouresents, etc.). So I'm pretty sure it's the one of the switches. I powered one of them off & back on, and it didn't seem to help, but then (don't know why I did this) I powered it off and left it unplugged for 5 minutes, then plugged it back in and it was faster and the 4 RTVs started talking to each other again... Oh well, time to run to the local computer store...

Thanks again.:D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I don't know if you can with a switch (you usually can with routers), but have you checked to see if you are running the most current version of the firmware?

·
Registered
582 Posts
How about trying to "download" from each unit using DVA/WRPC/ReplayNT. If you find you can't download from one, that would indicate which switch/run is the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.