AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only person out there suffering from this. I'm hoping there's someone out there who knows what's going on.


I have a server and four other PC's (two home theater machines along with two other general purpose computers). My server is running Windows Home Server 2011. The client machines are all Windows 7 home premium. The server houses an InfiniTV PCIe quad tuner. The tuners are network bridged out to the two HTPC's. Two tuners each are assigned to the HTPC's. I make recordings on each of the HTPCs and they're archived to the server..


That is, until recently. The last time anything archived to the server successfully was around the end of April. After that, nothing but failures. There's also other weirdness going on. The windows home server connector/launchpad thing won't run on either of the HTPC's. I can't log in to launchpad using my admin credentials. I can't uninstall the connector software because it doesn't appear in the add/remove programs list. Also, I have noticed that remote potato doesn't work anymore. Neither does tight vnc or the W7CallerID MCE plugin that I use on the HTPC's. I can't remove any of those applications for the same reason.. they don't appear in the add/remove programs list. Come to think of it, the list of programs that can be uninstalled on the HTPC's is much shorter than on any of my other machines. I have a user account on the server called "htpc" that I use as a generic login. Switching that to something else doesn't seem to matter.


All of my shared folders on the server are still available and accessible on both machines. I can still watch live TV and I can still record shows (but I can't archive them to the server). I can also open a remote desktop connection to the server from either of the HTPC's.


I logged into the server and removed all of the instances of the computers that I had connected prior to all these problems. I also deleted the backups. I ran updates on all machines (including the server), but nothing I do seems to help. I've even tried system restores on the HTPC's, but no luck.


Was there a windows update that came out that wrecked things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Making progress.


It seems that my hosts files on all of my machines.. though they were all the same.. were all apparently wrong according to my router's IP assignments. I should have known to check that. I restored all hosts files to their Microsoft defaults (which show no IP addresses other than "localhost". Connector immediately came back on two of my machines (one HTPC and my laptop). Still working to restore to all machines.


I will continue to update this thread as my stupidity unfolds in the hope that I will save some future bonehead some pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the applications I cited above (TightVNC, W7CallerID & Remote Potato) now work. I still am having some difficulties with connector reinstalling, but that's my fault. I compounded the problem by (unwisely) removing the client PC's from the server prior to realizing my mistake with the hosts file. Oddly, the Dashboard still opens on some of those clients even though they don't exist on the server.


Ugh.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top