AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Arcam AVR 300 and it allows biamp main channel by using the last 2 channels in a 5.1 system together with the main channels.

Does biamping a speaker with 100Wpc to treb and 100Wpc to bass the same as driving it with a single amp of 200Wpc?

Thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
No.

To oversimplify this A LOT, if you had a 200W amp driving the speaker, more than 50% of the power could be used by the LF driver, so it would be able to tap into as much of the 200W as it has available before clipping started to occur. The HF drivers might never need more than 30 to 50W under most circumstances.

However, with two 100W amps (or channels) the LF driver's limit is 100W, even if the HF drivers are only using say 30W out of their 100.

Still, that's not to say don't use both available 100W channels to bi-amp if you want to. You've already got them. You don't have the 200W amp. You'll get a little bit more available power overall, though nowhere near twice as much or even 50% more. Amplifier power doesn't work that way. Think in factors of ten: 100W is twice 10W, 1000 W is twice 100W, etc. in terms of being able to double the sound output.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Be sure that the Arcam allows bi-amping. Some receivers don't. Look in the manual for a statement one way or the other. (And don't expect much if you do. ;) )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Great explanation.

So the total power in theory would be 100W + whatever the HF drivers are using.

Yep I know doubling sound would require 10x power. So 100W to 200W maybe gains about 3db? Therefore maybe I gain about 1db in theory with biamp.

I will go home and read the manual in detail. I did remember somewhere on the internet that says the 6th and 7th channel can be used to biamp the fronts in a 5.1 setup of the AVR300.

Ben

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can most definitely use channel 6 & 7 for bi-amp on AVR 300. I believe manual explains it well.

As previous posters said, you already have them, so you may as well use them. Bi-amping may provide a bit more clarity and control (it is very speaker dependent)

:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Be sure that the Arcam allows bi-amping. Some receivers don't. Look in the manual for a statement one way or the other. (And don't expect much if you do. ;) )
Not to hijack the original thread, but my Yammy 4600 does mention Bi-amping, but is does say you can run the A's and B's on the main channels seperately to the speakers (bi-wiring I believe).

Any benefit to doing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.