AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say your custom built door arrived and the day before it is to be picked up and installed, you get a gut feeling to go check it and make sure everything is correct before the installer picks it up. Then lets say you get there and sure enough, it's a left hand door and you ordered a right hand door.

You can't "fix" that can you? I have a feeling I'll be waiting another month for the replacement. Am I right?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Correct. You can't fix stupid. Doors aren't stupid, people are stupid.

I've found that I have to be extra careful when buying doors because the "handedness" is always opposite of what you would think. Or at least what I would think. I have to stand in the aisle, look at the picture and pretend to open it to make sure it's the way I want it. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm just stupid.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question#post_22175258

Correct. You can't fix stupid. Doors aren't stupid, people are stupid.

Grrrrrrrr....

That's what I thought. The sales guy is calling the company that customized it and "seeing what he can do". I'm standing there looking at an otherwise beautiful door that I've waited a month for and I'm thinking "no way this can be fixed".

You know, it's one thing to Logan yourself but to GET Loganed!?!?! ;-)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's awful. No way to correct as stated. Interestingly different door manufacturers look at the handedness differently. You'd think that was an industry standard, but sadly, it's not. One guy's left is another's right

·
Registered
752 Posts
You are NOT going to be able to "switch" it around.

The way I was always taught was this:

Stand at the door so the door swings AWAY from you. IF the hinges are on the left, it's a left swing, IF the hinges are on the right, it's a right swing. Easy to remember, but I always make the motion of opening the door, while in a store buying a door! (just in case)! And remember that building codes will require a door to open into a room, closets open out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with them and they say they'll have it "fixed" by next Tuesday. I asked how that was possible since it took a month to get the door made and the guy didn't know. I told him I didn't want ANY filler on the door as I'm not paying this much money and waiting this long for a hack job.

He says "they're going to redo the jambs and turn the door around" which makes me think they're going to rotate the hinges and since they're mortised on one side of the door, this will be obvious to me and I'll point it out and deal with it then, whether that means telling them I want a refund or a new one made. This has literally been holding up my build for a month with no end in sight.

I found a good pic that illustrates the exact problem. I ordered the door on the right but they sent the one on the left.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Did the hole for the knob get drilled already? If so, not sure how they would fix that. For the hinges, they could just plane down the side that has the existing hinge mortises (thereby decreasing the width of the door by about 1/8"or so). But if they're making custom jambs, that won't be noticeable at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question#post_22175548

Did the hole for the knob get drilled already?

Yes, door hole is there. But would that matter if they took the door on the left and turned it around on it's horizontal axis? The hole would then be on the correct side and only the hinges would need to be dealt with and your planing idea may be what they do. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unacceptable  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question#post_22175507

Just got off the phone with them and they say they'll have it "fixed" by next Tuesday. I asked how that was possible since it took a month to get the door made and the guy didn't know.

Doesn't take a month to make a custom door. Probably a day. But you normally have to wait your turn in line... Mistakes get to bypass the line, hence the "by Tuesday"...

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question/0_50#post_22175452

The way I was always taught was this:

Stand at the door so the door swings AWAY from you. IF the hinges are on the left, it's a left swing, IF the hinges are on the right, it's a right swing. Easy to remember, but I always make the motion of opening the door, while in a store buying a door! (just in case)! And remember that building codes will require a door to open into a room, closets open out.

I was taught that you stand with your back to the hinge side of the door jamb. If the door opens to the left, it's a left-hand door. If the door opens to the right, it's a right-hand door.

Is the door pre-finished? 'Cause I don't see any way to fix this without messing up a factory finish.

Otherwise, I agree with advertguy2. If they're willing to remake the door jamb entirely, they can probably fix this at the cost of 1/8" or so in width. A 1/8" difference shouldn't cause any problems with the install.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question#post_22175703

....I was taught that you stand with your back to the hinge side of the door jamb. If the door opens to the left, it's a left-hand door...

We call that the butt-to-butt method. Your put your butt (cheeks) up against the butt (hinge).

But as mentioned, there is no standard way to call out handing. You should be fine with them planing down the hinge stile and re-mortising the hinges for the opposite hand.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question#post_22175703

Is the door pre-finished? 'Cause I don't see any way to fix this without messing up a factory finish.

No, it is not pre-finished.

I'm starting to feel a little better reading some of these replies but I'll just be patient at this point. No other choice.

The door is a custom width mineral core Masonite that was ordered and then sent to a local millworks outfit to build a custom frame, kerf the jambs, and so on. It was just "primer white" when I saw it today and it'll be going satin black if/when I ever get my hands on it. I was very impressed with the weight of it. Heavy sucker.

Back to browsing the fabric sites...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

Quote:
You know, it's one thing to Logan yourself but to GET Loganed!?!?! ;-)

Look, I have very high standards. This does not qualify..... unless you actually ordered the wrong thing. Someone else slowing you down doesn't do it; you have to slow down all by yourself. With no outside help. Other than from me, of course.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
When I ordered my door, I showed the guy filling out the order what I wanted it to do, pretending to open a door and walk through.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If you specified that you wanted a right-hand door, you get the door on the left.

If you wanted the door on the right, you needed to order a left-hand door or a right-hand reverse door. RHR would be applicable if it were an exterior door (ie you want your front door outswinging; they need to know more than left or right in an exterior door so they put the weatherstripping on the correct side). For normal interior doors, it's RH or LH. It sounds like you got what you ordered?

When I custom order I always draw a sketch with the handing on the order sheet just like you see on a blueprint. That way everybody is on the same page.

Tim

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1417916/stupid-door-question/0_50#post_22178472

When I custom order I always draw a sketch with the handing on the order sheet just like you see on a blueprint. That way everybody is on the same page.

Tim

What a great idea! I'm filing that one away for future use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts