AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never set up a home network before so bear with me.

From my Modem that has a build in router to my multiple devices (couple of computers, gaming consoles, media streamers, etc) I have a Switch. Is that all I need to hook all of these things together and let them talk to each other.

I'm thinking that all I need to do is just run all of my components to my Switch and then just run a single connection to the Modem.

Shouldn't that allow all my components to see/talk to each other and allow them to access the internet? Any reason I would need a separate router instead?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the dumb question.

· Registered
11,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroman /forum/post/18125362

I've never set up a home network before so bear with me.

From my Modem that has a build in router to my multiple devices (couple of computers, gaming consoles, media streamers, etc) I have a Switch. Is that all I need to hook all of these things together and let them talk to each other.

I'm thinking that all I need to do is just run all of my components to my Switch and then just run a single connection to the Modem.

Shouldn't that allow all my components to see/talk to each other and allow them to access the internet? Any reason I would need a separate router instead?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the dumb question.

Well...a router, running with your Internet modem, would give you "smart" switching. But the way you describe will work just fine.

CD

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok what benefits am I missing with "Smart" Switching? I've had a bunch of people tell me I need a router and other people tell me a switch is just fine.

What benefits do I gain by hooking everything up to a router vs. a switch?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.