AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is off the topic of normal HTPC, but it is keeping me from my favorite forum. I have to post this using my friends computer since my Internet Explorer isn't working. I hope you guys don't mind, I've just gotten so much info from you, that this is the first place I go...

While on this site, my IE crashed. Now it won't bring up any web pages b/c apparently it set my parental control all the way down, and it asks for a password to change it which I never gave it. I'm stuck, with the exception of totally erasing my harddrive and reinstalling Windows. I JUST got my HTPC up and running the way I like it, so I was hoping you might help so that I don't ruin any of my other programs and setups.

Thanks,

Neuner

If it's any help, I'm running Win ME

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recall having lots of issues like this where I work. I'm not sure

/why/ it happened, but there was a service called "protected storage"

running that would start requiring passwords to browse. DIsabling

that service would fix the issue.

Perhaps that might help you?

·
Registered
387 Posts
1. Try to give it an empty password. Sometimes helped when I used to work tech support... ie someone had turned that feature on by mistake but never entered a password (you can turn it on by an enter press or two if you're unlucky and in the wrong settings window, I think)

2. http://www.opera.com to download a much more streamlined and well thought out browser! Free if you can stand an ad, a minor fee if you want to get rid of that ad (I paid for it... use it virtually exclusively nowadays; exceptions are sites where some dumb-ass web designer has insisted on using every single so-called bell and whistle supported by IE...)

If you prefer a totally free browser, get Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org - it says lots about beta and so forth but it's already a better browser than IE, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I've already tried them. I don't know why they have a 'disable' button if it doesn't work. I've tried empty passwords, passwords I normally use, and profanity, but none of them work.

The problem with the other browsers you mentioned is that I can't even get online to download them. I guess I'm going to have to down load, save to CD then transfer to my computer that way.

There is absolutely no way to uninstall and re-install IE?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It would help if you would provide system specifics:

1. What version of Windows?

2. What version of IE?

Also, do you have Windows install disks or a proprietary reinstall disk?

You could also post in the forums at http://www.anandtech.com where you would probably get a lot more suggestions from the "geeks" there.

:D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, System Restore didn't work. Get this, couldn't find where it was at, so I went to General Window Help. It wouldn't even bring that up due to Parental Content. Bill Gates & his team are the biggest idiots I've ever seen. Let's put a low enough setting on the Parental Control so that even Help won't display.

I will be reinstalling Windows tonight unfortunately. Instead of Windows I would install Linux if there were more software & support out there for HTPC's. Screw Microsoft like they've screwed me in the past.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Neuner,

Why don't you call tech support at Microsoft. Much easier than reloading, and it might be good to see what caused this as this is the first time I've ever heard of this happening, and I work in the WindowsXP dev. team at MS.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
888 Posts
Even after you re-install, take a look at Mozilla. I've been using it for over a year at work on unix and for the last 8 months it has been my primary browser on windows at home. The only time I use IE is when a website won't work with anything else. Think of it as payback to Bill for making you reload windows, plus you'll get a better browser for your efforts.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Try to download and re-install an upgrade over the top of it through Windows Update. Even if its the same version, it may give you the opportunity to not restore your prior settings.

In the meantime, try Netscape. Hopefully it will copy your bookmarks over from IE.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PGPFan
Neuner,

Why don't you call tech support at Microsoft. ....

-PGPfan
For what ... about $200 now. Ever since M$ started charging for support to fix THEIR bugs I dumped them.

I feel your pain, Neuner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What happens when you right-click the IE icon on your desktop, and click properties? If you can go there, try clicking the security tab, and setting the level to medium. If nothing's there, go to your Control Panel, and double-click Internet Options, and check the security tab that way. If that doesn't work, or still prompts you for a password, can you run Windows Update? There should be a link to it right off your start bar, if not, click Start, then Run, then type windowsupdate.microsoft.com in the box, and hit enter. Try bringing yourself up to 6.0, and see if the security settings have been relaxed - I doubt this will help, actually, since 6.0 will probably take on the same settings, but worth a shot. Let us know if you've had any luck.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't even use Windows Update since that is through IE. Anything used through IE will not work. I just tried to lay WinME back over itself and that message appeared again.

jahesh: It isn't through the security setting, it's through the Parental Content tab. In order to disable it, or change it, I need a password which I never assigned. When it crashed it changed something on it's own.

MS Tech Support is crap. We've used them at work before. It wasn't long before we cancelled our subscription.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm going to see what they say at the forum Cdrakejr mentioned. Maybe they know a hack :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try reading the following knowledgebase articles at Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q301689 and http://support.microsoft.com/search/...en-us;Q302831. How comfortable are you with registry editing? The articles go through it pretty well, and if you screw up, you can always re-install WinME, tho maybe this might give you the impetus to upgrade to Win2K. I'm not a big XP fan, and I think ME was/is a worse scourge than 98. 2K is stable, and fast, and if you gotta reinstall an OS anyway, you might as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
HDTV-MORON-

You are definately one with a chip on their shoulder or something. The reality of the tech support at MS is the following:

First call is free.

Unlimited number of calls for 90 days after the first call free.

Payment schedule AFTER the '90 day' period.

Please do us a favor and at least verify your information before spouting an uneducated opinion.

I'm fully aware of the existence of bugs, it's in ALL software. Yes, including Linux. Who is ACTUALLY resonsible for the bug is unknown, until it is found and debugged. Making foolish comments like deciding that the bug is one of "their" bugs displays your severely limited knowledge of software developement and does little to solve any of the problems that the original thread starter is having.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I used to use Opera a few years ago and just stopped (I think I lost it when the system dumped). I just tried it again and wow is it fast. Screens load in about 40% of the time it takes for IE6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a way to uninstall IE. It's also free. Go to http://www.98lite.net/ and look for IERadicator. If you truly want to streamline your WinME, their main product, 98Lite, is very good. Lets you uninstall a lot of stuff you normally wouldn't be able to. However, it's not free. A friend of mine that has a P166 is using it with Win98, and his system flies (comparatively speaking :) )

Direct link to IERadicator:
http://www.98lite.net/download/IEradicator2001.zip

They have a license agreement on http://www.98lite.net/ier_lic.html if you want to read it first.

Keep in mind, certain software "requires" IE to be installed (ex: TurboTax).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PGPFan
HDTV-MORON-

You are definately one with a chip on their shoulder or something. The reality of the tech support at MS is the following:

First call is free.

Unlimited number of calls for 90 days after the first call free.

Payment schedule AFTER the '90 day' period.

Please do us a favor and at least verify your information before spouting an uneducated opinion.

I'm fully aware of the existence of bugs, it's in ALL software. Yes, including Linux. Who is ACTUALLY resonsible for the bug is unknown, until it is found and debugged. Making foolish comments like deciding that the bug is one of "their" bugs displays your severely limited knowledge of software developement and does little to solve any of the problems that the original thread starter is having.

-PGPfan
A little sensitive are we? :)

But now that you mention it darn right I'm not a SW developer which makes my opinion more usefull and accurate than yours. I DECIDE WHAT LEVEL OF SERVICE TO EXPECT WHEN I PAY MY HARD EARNED MONEY FOR SOMETHING. THAT IS WHY I DUMPED M$. DEAL WITH IT OR GO AWAY, BETTER YET JUST GO AWAY!

If you don't like my OPINION then ^%#k off. M$ still sucks regardless of what you say or who you think you are.

If M$ was so great than why do all these M$ softies around here get all bent out of shape when people express their opinion about M$.

Could it be that deep down inside they know we're right :rolleyes:?

Just speculation on my part :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may have a solution for you. I found a program (AIEPR) Advanced Internet Explorer Password Reset that worked for me. I forget where I downloaded the trial version from, (maybe "crackpassword.com") but I am not sure.

You can download a zip file that will reset the parentel lockout feature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.