AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
But it doesnt mean that it will display all the pixels.

What you need to know to connect your pc to your tv is the native resolution of your TV.

Matching your output resolution to your TV's native resolution will give you the best picture.

There's actually more to it than that, but that should get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You have to state what you mean by "capable" an EDTV is capable of accepting 1080i, 720p and 480p video but it is not capable of displaying HD since it downscales the 1080i and 720p it receives to 480p. As Diode said you need to know what your TV will actually display before you can get the best PQ from it with your PC video card.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
List the make and model of your set and members will tell you.

Or look up the specifications on the company's web site.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If a set can accept 1080i as an input, manufacturers will list the set as being "HDTV Ready", yes. This is to distinguish it from a set which has a built-in over the air digital (ATSC) tuner for receiving HD broadcasts via antenna. An "HDTV Ready" set doesn't have the tuner, but otherwise is an HDTV.

Please note, though, that HDTVs which cannot accept 720p are at a disadvantage in some circumstances. If the source device does not support scaling to 1080i, one can find oneself simply out of luck in terms of viewing the source in high definition. An example is the X-Box, where some games run in 720p, but don't run in 1080i; in this case, the TV cannot accept these signals and the X-Box must be set to output in 480p mode instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.