AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between a sub you put in your car and one in your house? I have a old 15 inch sub that was in my car and now I don't use it. Can this be hooked up for my house? What about just temp. until i get one for home theater?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Most HT subs are cleaner and deeper then car audio subwoofers. Although some of the newer car subs are going below the 30hz range. As a temporary solution you can use your 15'' driver but you would have to build an enclosure for it and get an amp to run it anyway.

It may be easier to find an affordable sub or build one from the ground up. Price Express has some very good drivers at very reasonable prices and there are plenty of forum members who can advise you if you decide to diy

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Depending on the sub, it would probably work if you drove it with an appropriate amp. But, most car boxes are not tuned for low-end extension and flat response - they are often really boomy and output big peaks at 35 Hz or higher. I think you might want to be careful if you are thinking of hooking it directly to your AV receiver's speaker outputs - that might suck alot of power out of your amp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sub is already enclosed with a 275 watt amp attached. I guess I can always set it up and see what is sounds like. Do you have a link to price express?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yep, hook it up and let us know what you think.

Here's a link to Parts Express . :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How are you going to power that 275w amp - jumper cables out the window to your car? :confused:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Speaker Q, impedance... Frequency response in car subs can be quite lacking in a home environment, yes. Cabin gain in the car is a lot higher than room gain.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
How are you going to power that 275w amp - jumper cables out the window to your car? :confused:
:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great point on how i'm going to hook it up......i have no idea, and my jumper cables aren't that long :) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You could also try to pick-up one of the refurbished Audiosource amps off ubid, and don't use the car amp. Is that "275 watt" car amp really 275 watts RMS at a reasonable thd and 4 ohms, or is that the peak rating at some high thd and 2 ohms at 15vdc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I honestly have no idea, all the amp says is 275 watts. I don't have the box anymore. Long term i know this is not the way to go, but hey, i already have it, might as well see what is sound like before i buy a new sub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.