AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought needed a DVD drive to read a DVD and display on PC monitor.

I dont know what I was thinking or maybe I wasnt.

But what the heck, I throw a DVD in it and it chugs awhile and starts playing the DVD. Looked pretty good.

Now considering using my plasma as display instead of 21" CRT.

So I should be able to run a DVI cable from PC (9500pro) to DVI input on NEC plasma.

What kind of cabling would I run from PC (Audigy2) to the receiver?

Perhaps a bigger question is :

Any advantage to get a DVD player with DVI output vs utilizing my PC for the task?

Many Thanks....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check your devices list and post the name of your alleged CD drive. I guess we should all be amazed at this phenomenon. ;)

On the other hand you might have had MPEG4 on the cd. MPEG4 is near DVD quality.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
.... while sleepwalking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My guess is that the extra cost of the dvd laser is likely less than the cost of setting up a second manuf. line to make only cdrom drives, so they consolidated lines and mark some of the dvd capable drives as cdrom drives.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't kid yourself -- there is still a market for cdrom drives. Many many companies have a standard 'desktop' config that specifies cdrom instead of dvd (so their techs only have to learn one system). Many many maintenance contracts state to replace parts with exact duplicates from an approved list (and they origionally built it with a cdrom). I have a guess that they get a better price from old contracts for cdrom drives than from retail sales of dvd drive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that some got a good laugh. I am glad.

So my question just got "more stupider" . it is DVD / CD ROM drive.

my apology for the question.

Still other Question remains - what is advantage of PC over a DVD player w/ DVI output. Is there better PQ?

I would only use PC view DVD on the plasma and do limited gaming.

Just thought i'd ask before spening time and cash on the project.

Thanks again

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dbuff
It seems that some got a good laugh. I am glad.

So my question just got "more stupider" . it is DVD / CD ROM drive.

my apology for the question.
:D Bwahahahahahaha! :D Today this forum looks like some pranks website - check check the dude with 2T conversion kit from 100Gb WD drive! ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by dbuff
Still other Question remains - what is advantage of PC over a DVD player w/ DVI output. Is there better PQ?

I would only use PC view DVD on the plasma and do limited gaming.

Just thought i'd ask before spening time and cash on the project.

Thanks again
The most obvious advantages are:

1. Customisability - PC can be tweaked in all ways to improve PQ quality, playback etc.

2. Upgradability - PCs are easier to upgrade, thus to get better quality.

3. You can use PC as a video processor. A standalone video processor might cost few thousand dollar and yet be only marginably better than PC

If you don't like messing up with hardware then DVD player with DVI will deliver quite good PQ, so it is up to you to decide.

O! Gaming! YOu can't do gaming on a DVD player. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.