AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question---but I am considering buying my first HDTV. I am trying to avoid the whole satellite tuner and STB problems. So tell me this -- can i buy an HD or HD ready TV, plug it in as my reg TV is now and watch DVD in HD? And also watch TV through regular cable?

Secondly would an HTPC allow me to avoid a STB?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
built-in,

Not a stupid question! I don't know of a HD ready TV (direct view or RP) that doesn't have a built-in OTA-NTSC tuner in it - there may be one or more but the vast majority have a tuner that will allow you to watch OTA or cable signals. If you want to view HD OTA or HD cable you will need some type of STB. TW Cable has a STB that you connect to your DTV. I belive there is 1 or 2 OTA HD STB on the market now with more to follow for sure.

When you say HTPC; are you referring to a HiPic card? Then yes you can use this card to receive OTA HD signals. You could also use the HTPC to play your DVDs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just to clarify -- you will be able to watch DVDs on an HDTV or HD Ready TV, but the picture will not be in high definition. The best you can get through a DVD player is 480p (progressive-scan DVD player) or 480i through a standard DVD player. High-definition is 720P or 1080i.

Hope this helps.

-Brett

·
Registered
943 Posts
I see that some adds for dvd players claim that the players are 540 lines of resolution.

Is this true or are they just 480.

Jerryez

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Just to clarify -- you will be able to watch DVDs on an HDTV or HD Ready TV, but the picture will not be in high definition.
It won't be in "high definition", but it will look a heck of a lot better than on a standard NTSC set. Look for a set that does "line doubling" of standard 480i input to provide a picture that's free of scan lines. If you plan to buy a set with a 4:3 aspect ratio, look for one that does the "vertical squeeze" on the raster to maximize the resolution of DVDs.

Quote:
I see that some adds for dvd players claim that the players are 540 lines of resolution. Is this true or are they just 480.
The actual frames stored on the DVD disc have a vertical resolution of 480 pixels (and 720 pixels horizontally). The vertical resolution can be "upconverted" to 540 (or more) lines, either in a DVD player, in an external scaler, or in the internal "line doubler" of a TV monitor. If it's upconverted in the DVD player or via an external scaler, the TV you watch it on must be able to accept the output signal (probably component) of the DVD player or scaler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for the input. I have decided to build an HTPC to use as my TV input and DVD player to the HDTV. Then use software to upscale the image. I am going to hold off on the STB until some of the problems and more HD channels are available. Thanks again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
wd,

No dumb questions. I am a newbie too and have learned more on this forum than from any other source. As we are on the topic....

I have digital cable too. My cable company (Charter in St. Louis) apparently has the local major networks in HD. What would I need to get HD through an HD capable set? I know the digital cable alone will not provide hidef. Can I connect digital cable through a set top box alone? Do I have to have a satellite dish? I don't watch pay per view but the CBS football Saturday and Final four are more what I am looking for.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.