AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was calling around to a couple local shops and was asking about dvd players. At one shop the person I spoke with was tring to tell me that a dvd player needed a huge power supply so that it would have enough power to output true black level signals. This sounds like a big load of [email protected][email protected] I can see why a very clean power supply maybe needed (and thus maybe a heavy power supply), but to say a lot of power is needed makes no sense. He started to draw analogies to receivers having huge power supplies. Is this just another stupid sales person or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there is an article that sounds very simalar to this in the latest Perfect Vision magazine. It talks about a best buy employee who says to get HD you have to have a High Def power supply.

And this is why we educate ourselves. Most of my friends don't understand my interest, but then again, they all think Bose are "awesome"

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
A well designed Power Supply is important in ANY piece of electronic device, however a "huge power supply" would only be required if the device must supply the number of Watts to accomplish the task, such as an Audio Power Amplifier to blow your ears off. Now days with switch mode power supplies they are even small, but limited in some areas of use.

If you look at the Input power requirements of the device (xx volts, xx amps or watts) that tells the story. I have not looked at my DVD player but I'll bet it is no more than a 60 watt light bulb, most likely a lot less.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.