AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a Sharp LC32D62U 32" 1080p to use as a computer monitor.

Is it possible to hook this up to a satellite box and watch TV while I am also working on the computer? Can I minimize the TV feed into a smaller window, kinda have it off in the corner or to the side while I'm "trying" to do some computer work? If so, do I need any software? I'm on a Mac.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandarce /forum/post/12952964

I use a Mac Mini. Is there a USB solution?

Not sure about Macs, but there are a million USB capture cards for PCs, starting around $30. Check the HTPC/Mac forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Do the USB capture cards allow me to plug into an HD satellite box? They say in their marketing that one can watch over-the-air programming, but there is no mention of plugging into something for HD, and that is what I'd like to do: watch HD from the satellite box while doing computer work simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandarce /forum/post/12955548

that is what I'd like to do: watch HD from the satellite box while doing computer work simultaneously.

Then buy a panel with PiP capability, or just buy a second panel, because that will be cheaper than trying to capture HD.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There may be more models which do this but the Samsung TXX69 and TXX71 series have the following information regarding PiP.

Quote:
You can view analog TV broadcasts on the PIP screen (sub-picture) when the main picture is from an external device connected to HDMI 1,2,3 component 1,2 or PC.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellNJ /forum/post/12951931

The only way I can see this working is if you have a TV tuner in your computer. The TV won't display two inputs at once.

Are you talking about displays in general or that particular Sharp model?

I think the NEC 20WMGX2 monitor can do this. I never tried it but I remember reading in the manual (which I threw away...) or on some specs sheet that it can display the TV input in a small window while you're working on your PC. I just checked the PIP option and it's set to off but there's the option to select an input for the window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts