AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, I purchased a pair of 2CEs for my husband for Christmas and when the arrived, he decided that rather than set them up right away, he'd wait until we moved into our new house. We *finally* moved last week and I want to get the speakers placed so I can get the room arranged.

I opened the box for the speaker bases and I can't figure out how the bases are supposed to work---should they be attached to the speakers so that the three little spikes are the only thing to touch the floor?! We just got the entire (hardwood) floor refinished and those spikes would do horrible, horrible things to the floor. Do I *have* to use the bases or can I just set the speakers directly on the floor?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not a dumb question... you really should use the stands since they lisft the speaker to the correct height. You can unscrew the spikes from the bottom of the stands and if you are worried about the stand still marking the hardware floor you can put a felt dot on bottom of the stands where the spikes used to screw into.

I suspect there are alternative ways... probably someone makes a special rubber or plastic "spike" that would better couple the speaker stand to the floor without harming the floor. That could be a later improvement...

You may also decide to fill the stands with a combination of sand and shot which will improve the sound of the speakers and make them less prone to being tipped over (though the 2c's are pretty heavy already).

Hope this helps... the Vandie is a wonderful speaker...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll definitely have to experiment with the options here. I was planning on making a run to the hardware store for 'play sand' for the bases at some point, although they're stunningly heavy already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.