AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's an easy answer to this. I'm trying to flash my X1 (version 3.6) to 4800 (ver 1.1) but I'm having problems just getting my computer to recognize the X1! The install new hardware wizzard can't seem to find the driver for it after detecting a new device when the USB cable is connected. The procedure for flashing seems to be pretty straight forward from the readme file but I can't even get to this point. Can someone point me in the right direction to find the appropriate drivers. I'm not a complete idiot but I can't seem to find them on the CD that comes with the X1 or on the infocus site. I am running windows XP on a computer that I inherited so I don't have the original XP CD if the driver is located there. Also, I'd like to hear other experiences with this "upgrade". I use the SVIDEO connection in 16x9 from my DVD player and am using the native position on the composite connection for my Laserdisc and VCR. When I switch between Video 1 and Video 2 the X1 remembers these settings and I don't have to switch aspect ratios. If it continues to do this after the upgrade then the loss of the remote effect key does not bother me much. Can someone report if this is the case?

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I guess that'll work as long as you don't watch any movies that are in the 1.33 Aspect Ratio. And if they are a rare occurance for you the menu switch would work fine. I find that many (if not most) special features have 4:3 AR segments that require switching the X1. I switch when the AR changes but perhaps not all do.

You might find some help here . Technut's X1 FAQ site.

I know that when I connected my laptop (with Windows XP) to the X1 software automatically installed itself and made the connection easy. I was not using the X1 as the monitor, of course. You must hold two buttons down continuously as you turn the X1 on. "The most commonly overlooked step is that you must hold down both the Keystone buttons on top of the projector as you power it up." as it says in Technut's FAQ.

Here's the link to the Firmware instructions: http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/x1upgrade.pdf

They really help.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
canuck I feel your pain. I had the same exact problem when trying to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 a long while back. I work with computers for a living and tried it on 3 of my computers at home and 2 at work (all xp). It was able to install the drivers to use the "mouse" feature on the x1 remote, but the firmware software did not see the projector. I even forced it to install the x1 drivers and it came up as X1 Projector or some of the like in the device manager, but still no go. Long story longer, I can't help you, but if you do get it to work I would appreciate if you could tell me how you rectified your problem.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klipsch
I had the same exact problem when trying to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 a long while back. I work with computers for a living and tried it on 3 of my computers at home and 2 at work (all xp). It was able to install the drivers to use the "mouse" feature on the x1 remote, but the firmware software did not see the projector. I even forced it to install the x1 drivers and it came up as X1 Projector or some of the like in the device manager, but still no go.
Are you trying to install the firmware on your computer or the X1? You mentioned trying this on several computers. The computer is only used as an uplink to the X1. The X1 is virtually off (no light is projected) while the upgrade takes place. One views the procedure on the computer monitor that is doing the upgrade. It only takes one computer. You cannot install the X1 firmware on a computer.

Here, again, is the link instructions on uploading X1 firmware: http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/x1upgrade.pdf

They are very complete and detailed.

(Here is an excerpt from the link):

INSTALLING DRIVERS THE FIRST TIME

Recommendations for getting the drivers installed correctly:

This relates specifically to Windows XP but is similar to other Operating Systems.

A) Connect the USB cable to both the projector and your PC/Laptop before powering the projector.

B) Verify that the projector is actually in download mode. The lamp will not be on in this mode.

C) If FlashUSB does not detect the projector then open the device manager and locate the device. A

properly installed projector driver will show up under "Projector".

Please note that if a driver was not installed correctly then Windows may not prompt you for a driver for a

specific device again. You may have to manually install the driver by following instructions below.

D) If the device is listed under "Other Devices" and is shown with a "!" then the drivers were not found.

Right click and select "Update Driver". Manually point the new hardware wizard to the directory

containing the drivers. This directory is the same directory that you installed the new projector software.

Example: C:\\X1\\v3.8

E) If the device is listed as "Unknown Device" then turn off the projector. Then turn on the power

switch while holding down both of the keystone buttons on the top of the projector and then turn the

power switch back on. (I must add to this: Keep holding the buttons down until it comes on. No light will be projected.)

Please note that you only have one chance to connect to the projector once it is placed in download (No Projected Image after Powering up holding down the two keystone buttons).

If the cable is removed and reinserted the projector will stop communicating with the computer and you must restart step E.

There is more in the link provided. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I tried many computers as I could not get any of them to recognize/communicate with the X1. I forced the computers to recognize the x1 by installing manually. The X1 would show up under the Device manager but it still did not work as the firmware update software could not communicate with the X1 still. I even tried using the different drivers technique.

Quote:
I don't know; it's a mystery.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
When you said you tried it on computers at work does that mean you brought your X1 to work? Or did you bring your computers home?

Quote:
I forced the computers to recognize the x1 by installing manually.
How was this done?

I don't want to repeat myself but I would try again with a laptop (or PC; but it's easier to bring them together with a laptop) that only has the particular X1 firmware file on it in its own directory and has not been introduced into the device area of the laptop. The laptop should recognize the X1 when the connection is made as per the instructions given in the link provided.

It works.

Good luck

Perhaps bighifi's experience below might help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just had this problem myself. right click on the .INF file and install. make suer the projector is plugged in and the power switch turned on, but the soft power button off. Now hit both the Keystone Up and Down at the same time, This should bring up the hardware install wizard. Then install the software that you unzipped. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I almost forgot about this. I can't imagine why but I had to try a different USB cable to recognize the X1. The first one I tried (which I thought was good) didn't work. As a last resort, I tried a different USB cable and BAM. It worked flawlessly. Perhaps some USB cables don't work right for some bizarre reason? Worth a try.

JayW

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
jayw,

That is what I concluded the problem to be. I didn't really care to much to buy/borrow/find another one as it was just from 3.6-3.8. I should have mentioned this previously, but it was only an assumption. Also, every computer detected the HID mouse (and audio device I believe), which made me unsure if it was the cable or not. Now that the firmware for the 4800 is available I may try to tackle this again and try a different cable.

Cyrano, thank you for your suggestions and help. I have tried your suggestions previously and then some, but with no success. I just simply decided not to upgrade at the time as nothing was broken so I didn't want to try and fix it so to speak. As for manually installing a device, you just manually pick hardware that you wish to install and point to the driver. Its characterized by an "(advanced)" tag when adding hardware but really it just bypasses PnP and makes the user in control instead of the PnP.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
klipsch (excellent speakers, BTW), I understand and you're welcome. But I think this flashing is better done with plug and play. The X1 firmware wants to be on the X1, not on the computer. Although maybe we're talking about the same thing here. ;) I had to upgrade as I was losing sync (only happened twice) when a full screen white flash happened in a film. 4.1 and above adds a sync check box to the menu.

I don't understand why it won't flash for you though. Is there a problem with the X1?

I would call Infocus tech support. It might not look broke, but if it can't do a function like this something is awry.

Good luck - I just think you know more than most of us about 'puters and your knowledge made you delve deeper than was necessary to do the task.

:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
...but if it saw the HID mouse then I doubt it is the cable. My XP laptop didn't see anything. I think it would be worth a shout to Infocus Support. They are very good. I have a lot of respect for the company. I have sold a lot of X1s (as have many of us who show off their projectors) and I always mention how well they stand behind their product. When it comes time to upgrade I'll be looking for another Infocus product. I have another person coming over for Pirates of the Carribean tonight. Why do I suspect that another X1 just got sold? ;)

JayW

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Unfortunately, there is nothing wrong with my cable. When I attempt to flash, the add harware wizzard pops up so the computer is getting the message that something has been added via USB cable. It then starts to look for the driver and comes up blank! It gives me options to search for the driver and to send the info to microsoft via the internet. I've tried both to no avail. I'm sure the answer is a simple file containing the driver. I just need to be pointed to where this is.

I think KLIPSH understands my problem best. In the past I didn't see the need to flash my X1 from ver 3.6 as I am extremely pleased with my setup but the lure of the 4800 optomized for HT has perhaps led me astray. In particular, I read a post about a reduction in the screen door effect. I'm not sure how this could work from tweaking the gamma settings but I'm certainly interested as I love to sit close to a too large screen. I am a weak weak man.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Oh I love computers. Anyway, so I got home from work today and after talking in this thread I decide to give flashing the x1 with the 4.1 firmware a shot. I just recently reformatted my HTPC so I plugged the USB cable in to the X1. Sure enough it recognizes the X1 with no problems and loads up the "new hardware found" "USBFlash". I point it to the drivers I downloaded from the yahoo groups and 2 minutes later its done. So now I am in the process of upgrading to the 4800.

So, the lesson is....uh....exactly.

I'll post later with my results with the new firmware.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just kidding. When you say reformat, do you mean a complete reinstall of your operating system. Are you still using windows XP?

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Glad to hear it Klipsch! It usually is pretty easy and straight forward. Looking forward to what the differences are in firmwares!

canuck - what can I say? If you've looked at the links I've given and they don't help perhaps klipsch or some new poster can give you aid. Can you find someone with a laptop (XP would be best) and the firmware you want to install safely placed in its own directory. My XP was the Home edition and I needed no other software downloaded or searched for on the XP CD.

Good luck! It'll happen eventually.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
LOL sorry. I now have the 4800 firmware up and running. I viewed T2 where Cyberdine gets blown up (lots of fire/smoke/etc. I like to use it for pixelization and color). I first viewed it with the 4.1 and then with the 1.4. I was only going off of memory but I will say that the 1.4 had a slight advantage with less pixelization. However, this was probably just wishful thinking. (btw I used the THX optimizer for both settings with the blue glasses)

Also, I finally downloaded the demo's from Dvico to test out the X1 with true HD (as opposed to WM9 codecs). I must say I was very impressed with the detail. The picture on the X1 looked pretty close to the PQ of my CRT monitor (it mainly suffered on the crowd's faces in background. the faces were still easily seen and you could see a big beauty mark on one of the girls, but there was definitely pixelization)

So all in all, there is a really quick and scattered summary of my short observations.

Canuck, just complain like I did about computers, then go to the yahoo message groups and get the files from there, then use the same cable you have been using, and your firmware upgrades will work. ;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Wow, lots of cross posting...yes I reformatted and reinstalled XP when I updated my video card. I do not know if the reformat has anything to do with it. I honestly think that the drivers I had previously were not correct, but yet they both have the same date and appear to be the same so who knows. I did talk dirty to the X1 just before the update, maybe that was the deciding factor.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klipsch
I did talk dirty to the X1 just before the update, maybe that was the deciding factor.
That's it! I always do that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL! KLIPSCH - Are the drivers for the X1 in the file that has the flash program? I'll try to direct hardware wizard to that directory and see if it works!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.