AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...this is a total shot in the dark, and I don't even know if it's the right forum, but I'm looking for a way to store 1000+ CDs on a hard drive and access them via our living room home theater. Whether this involves a dedicated HTPC or just a hard drive and a cable and some software, I don't know. Do I need a high-quality soundcard, or would this bypass that? Also, some type of interface is a must as far as accessing the library...the more I type, the more I think dedicated HTPC. As an added bonus, I'd love the ability to play SACD and DVD-A, but again, I have no idea if that's even a possibility. I'm an audio (and almost video) junkie, but I am a total rookie in the HTPC realm. Can a fellow AVS'er help a brutha out? :D

Thanks!

Jason (the HTPC noob!)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Made even stupider by posting it in the wrong thread...what a loser...wait, I'm talking to myself about myself...:eek:

Jason

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have several computers in your home on a home network, you should be able to rip your cd's to any computer with enough hard drive space and then play them back on any computer in your home. That's what I do.

The simplest solution is to buy enough hard drive space for the computer in your living room theater. A lot of people prefer to have a server computer with tons of room located in another room but connected over the network. If you take that option, you don't have to worry about keeping the server quiet.

good luck

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You could put a Turtle Beach Audiotron in your stereo rack. It picks up all mp3's and Wma's on any harddrive on any PC in your network. You could put all 1000 CDs on one drive, or scatter them about. You control the TB with a remote or with a web browser or PDA if you prefer. It will also stream internet radio.

They've been discontinued by TB (bonehead move) but they are still immensely popular on e-bay.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1. Since you're an admittedly audio "junkie" you'll probably want to avoid MP3. Use EAC to rip your CDs to FLAC. Here is just one of many guides for doing so.

2. If you don't mind spending a little money, Meedio or maybe J River Media Center would be your best bets for frontend. (Windows MCE does not support flac, I don't believe]. I you're a DIY type, want something free, or like to get your hands dirty, try Xlobby or myHTPC . The latter is no longer developed and was the free version of Meedio, but lots of people still use it.

3. It's not possible to play SACD via a computer. Recent versions of WinDVD will play DVD-A, but you need an Audigy card to play them and unless you're a gamer as well, Creative cards are not the way to go.

4. An HTPC is definitely the most flexible way to get the functionality you want, but be warned that it usually takes a ridiculous amount of time and tweaking to get it right. It's not something you can build in a weekend and be done with it. One thing people often overlook (I know I did) is the care with which you must tag your music files or else your archive quickly becomes a disorganized mess.

5. More and more manufacturers are offering standalone components that can play FLAC. You can find a list of them here . So far the most popular is the Squeezebox. If you go that route, you will need a server somewhere else on your network.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic! Thanks for the many great suggestions guys! I'll spend some time looking through them and hopefully something will fit the bill.

Thanks Again!

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.