AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started getting random stuttering problems while watching a dvd. The only way to fix it is to pause and resume the dvd. I am getting this issue under both MPC and Zoom Player.

I Suspect it is Dscaler that is the cause.

I am using FFDSHOW to resize to 720P. Dscaler MPEG 2 decoder, FFDSHOW for audio processing and outputting in VMR9 Renderless YV12 under Zoom, while in MPC I am using the same except for VMR9 Windowed.

I am about to reinstall DirectX and my Ati drivers in the hope it will solve the issue as I never use to get these problems.

Any idea's or is it most likely Dscaler?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Have you tried playing a file off of your hard drive? If that solves things, a new DVD-ROM drive may be all you need.

There are a number of other things it could be - but I would start there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im playing Xvids fine under the same settings just obviously no Dscaler, which I would think is the problem only for the fact that I had several weeks worth of dvd viewing that was flawless.

I have 2 dvd drives and both do the same thing so I doubt it is that.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Perhaps updating the motherboard BIOS is worth a shot. That did solve a very similar issue I had some time ago. Oftentimes updating the BIOS will clear away a difficult IRQ conflict issue which can easily cause those symptoms.

You may also want to consider physically verifying that the motherboard north bridge chip, the video card GPU, and the CPU fans/heatsinks are all firmly attached, that the fans are spinning freely and unobstructed. I've seen a north bridge heatsink fall off and cause issues such as you describe, and a separate case of an overheating video card. Try leaving your case lid off from a cold boot to test this theory. To take it a step further, you might want to research the various internet hardware forums to find out the appropriate temperatures for your specific devices and then compare those figures to the readouts from your hardware monitor (often located at the POST screen or within the BIOS under a 'health' heading.) More conveniently, a lot of motherboard makers are now offering a utility whereby you can check the temperature from within Windows, thus enabling you to check right after the symptoms have been manifest.

I would attempt to rip a DVD you own to your hard drive to test Dscaler with that. If that shows the same symptoms, it will eliminate the secondary IDE channel and connected device(s) as a possible suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.