AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get rid of a periodic (every so many seconds) stutter with my HTPC DVD playback, for many nights, much time spend reading the forum. I just tried with the CinePlayer 1.5 player and the stutter is the same as with the Ravisent 4 filters (with ZP). So it goes my last hope :(

It is the same with or w/o HW acceleration, with or w/o SPDIF enabled, with or w/o the Audio Device enabled as a whole. Tried many different drivers for the Audio and Video card. Same thing when playing the movie off the HD.

The stutter is periodical and the time between stutters depends on how close my refresh rate is to 71.928. At that frequency stutters appear about once every minute and it goes for about 12 seconds. Then the same thing all over again. As I move away (-/+) from the sweet spot frequency, the time between stutters shortens and the stutters last shorter.

Switching OS from Win98 to XP did not help either, absolutely the same thing is hunting me again. I am now running:

Pentium 866

ASUS CUCL2 MB

WinXP/Win98 dual boot

M-Audio with the latest beta driver 5.10.0.5031

Radeon LE with 6.13.10.6166

DMA enabled

All power management disabled

Zoom with Ravisent filters

CinePlayer 1.5 trial

I am running the HD and DVD ROM on the same IDE channel, could this be a problem if the only thing running is DVD. Things do not get better if I make the HD turn off after some time.

This bug is so stubborn that I feel it will hunt me even if I change HW all together. Moving to another house may help, who knows...

Any last word of wisdom before I smash the computer? Thanks.

GK

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you tried connecting your pc to a crt monitor (which can lock onto the refresh rate) to see if the stutter dissapers?

I'm struggling with this myself on my Philips Monroe at the moment.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
George,

I would download dvdspeed from nero and make sure that your dvd-rom drive can maintain the proper speed. I had the same problem with a bad dvd-rom and found that it would drop below 1x speed when reading the dvd. Bought a new dvd-rom and haven't had a problem since.

Steve

ps if you get error messages when trying to start dvdspeed, start your dvd playing software to unlock the dvd and then shut it down and try to run dvdspeed.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My HD goes to the primary ATA100 connection and the DVD to the secondary IDE. I can't hardly imagine a motherboard without two IDE connections.

The other thing to check is your network. If your are plugged into a network this can cause your CPU to spin now and again. My stutter is a 12 minute stutter and I suspect that its an XP service of some kind cutting in every 12 minutes. What makes this seem to not be that problem is that it didn't go away when you changed operating systems. I have yet to try my new DVD transport.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
starblzer, this is a cool program, thanks. Turned out mu DVD ROM is fast enough. It started reading the DVD at around 3x and by the end of the test climbed to around 7x. Is does not stay around 1x.

My HD and DVD are primary devices on two different channels, no difference though.

I do not know if this may be related in any way or not, but when I turn the Closed Captioning decoder on, picture stutters briefly at the point when the captions and displayed on the screen and when they get removed. Of course I never use CC (if needed, subtitles are much better) but this fact may point to something.

I forgot to mention that I am running DirectX 8.1 which comes with XP. Is someone using RadeonLE with DirectX 8.1 with no stutters?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.