AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HTPC (has an ATI 4870 card, quad core q6600 cpu, 4GB memory)..

I ran fine with Vista Media center and TMT 3.0 platinum with the latest updates. This was from within Vista Media Center, using the integrated TMT (and my Media Browser 1.x).. This was vista ultimate x64.

Now i did a clean install with Windows 7 ultimate x64, Media Browser 2.11 beta and TMT 3.0 platinum with the update..

Now, when i run a bluray (mounting with VCD (virtual clone drive)), the video will play in the integrated TMT, but stutter every now and then.

I've tried checking off buffered i/o in VCD, as well as running the integrated exe in vista compatibility mode (uMCEDVDPlayer.exe).. (the standalone TMT does not have this issue, but i prefer the integrated one)

**Just a note, i also have Yougle and the netflix movie player installed on this box, not sure if this could cause an issue or not.

I'm out of ideas here, is anyone else running into this?

Update: if i close media center and run the TMT integrated exe, there is no stutter.. also.. i tried removing Yougle and Netflix player and turning off various settings in media browser 2.11, but no luck..

I guess as a bandaid, if there were a way to close media center when launching a movie and have it launch the integrated tmt then i could get away with this..

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am also having stuttering on win7 RTM 64bit +TMT3.

I see it on Blue Ray movie playback (from ISO ripped to HD then played using VCD) about every 30 minn... it will start to stutter and then I hit the pause then play and it will work fine for another 30 minn then need to hit pause / play...

Q9550 cpu

4gb ram

Intel DG45ID motherboard

Win7 64bit RTM

TMT 3

Gary Rall

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you guys confirmed, as i have, that the problem goes away, if you just launch the integrated TMT outside of media center (media center is closed)?

My version of TMT appears to be 3.0.1.140..

Interesting to note, on another regular desktop, with similar ATI cards, i dont have this issue, I tried with the older 2.x media browser and then installed the new beta one.. it didnt seem to affect integrated playback with media center open.

I'm kinda stumped, as on this other box i had a ton of stuff installed and did an upgrade not a clean install too.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It sounds like the integrated TMT might be using the default Media Center video codecs, which are known to have studder issues. Supposedly the RTM of Win7 no longer has this studder, so maybe TMT integrated will stop studdering with RTM.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/17011065

It sounds like the integrated TMT might be using the default Media Center video codecs, which are known to have studder issues. Supposedly the RTM of Win7 no longer has this studder, so maybe TMT integrated will stop studdering with RTM.

The version of Win 7 i am testing on is the RTM, but i dont think this would be the case, because if you launch a movie from Media Browser, it calls the integrated exe, but Media Center stays open in the background.. You get lots of stutter here and there..

Then you close media center completely and open the Integrated exe by itself.. no stutter.. this isnt the full TMT i launch to test, but the integrated one.. so something about media center being open causes the issue.. but i cant figure out what.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17011164

The version of Win 7 i am testing on is the RTM, but i dont think this would be the case, because if you launch a movie from Media Browser, it calls the integrated exe, but Media Center stays open in the background.. You get lots of stutter here and there..

Then you close media center completely and open the Integrated exe by itself.. no stutter.. this isnt the full TMT i launch to test, but the integrated one.. so something about media center being open causes the issue.. but i cant figure out what.

I believe i have found the problem.. why i have no clue though..

if i close my asus hdav 1.3 control center icon from the sys tray, everything is fine... unreal, but it works

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17011253

I believe i have found the problem.. why i have no clue though..

if i close my asus hdav 1.3 control center icon from the sys tray, everything is fine... unreal, but it works

Ah, spoke too soon, i swear this worked for me at first, but after a reboot, it was a no go.. i also tried closing the ati catalyst icon as well.. now i'm back to being stumped.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17011335

Ah, spoke too soon, i swear this worked for me at first, but after a reboot, it was a no go.. i also tried closing the ati catalyst icon as well.. now i'm back to being stumped.

For now, i really just need a way to close media center on clickin on the movie in MB, then open the integrated TMT..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am running w7-RTM 64 bit and TMT directly (not inside of media center)... as stated before the stuttering starts about 1/2 hour into the movie and when you hit pause and restart it works for another 1/2/ hour.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrall /forum/post/17012670

I am running w7-RTM 64 bit and TMT directly (not inside of media center)... as stated before the stuttering starts about 1/2 hour into the movie and when you hit pause and restart it works for another 1/2/ hour.

Ah ok, i havent tried the running it directly part long enough to know if the stuttering starts at any point other than i know after 10 minutes its ok on mine and ok if you run the integrated mode outside of Media center.

My next test will be to find a way to launch the integrated mode after first closing Media center.. i think ill try using workplace macro generator, to basically fire off a macro that closes MC then opens the integrated mode, both through hot keys, that way i can tie this to a remote button.

I'm also going to try uninstalling the HDAV software (task bar utility) and see if the integrated stuttering still goes on.

I really dont want to go back to Vista. (again, though, on my other pc, i can run without stuttering, on integrated mode just fine, with the same software versions, though i'm not using the hdav there and its still the old version of the catalyst software from vista)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had the same issue and in my case it was all caused by Media Browser 2.1.1; going back to 2.0.x eliminates the problem. The strange thing, I had 2.1.1 working since it first came out, on Windows 7 RC without any significant issues.

hm

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmatos /forum/post/17014311

I had the same issue and in my case it was all caused by Media Browser 2.1.1; going back to 2.0.x eliminates the problem. The strange thing, I had 2.1.1 working since it first came out, on Windows 7 RC without any significant issues.

hm

I tried removing 2.1.1 then putting 2.0.x on.. didnt seem to help though

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, i made some more progress, at least on where the problem may lie, at least with me..

I've found that if i copy the bluray iso to the local win 7 htpc box.. then play it, at least after 15 minutes, its fine..

however, if i do like i always have (without issue in the past with vista).. i have a mounted network drive over gigabit to my main (now) windows 7 x64 PC.. i've tested this connection with qcheck and get around 800mbit.. on file transfers it starts at 70MB/s then avgs 50 or so, but i've seen it dip to 25MB/sec on a single large file.. still plenty good for bluray, (30mbit is good enough)..

So if i mount the same iso across my network, problems arise.. at first i thought if i ran the integrated exe for TMT, after closing media center that it was ok, turns out i was wrong, same issue..

But again, no issues running the iso locally..

So i dont know what is causing the hicups.. maybe something on my win 7 box in the other room where the videos are? (i've even disabled antivirus on the main pc and windows defender just to see, i'm also not running anything that extravagent when i test this either).. firewall at least on the home and nonpublic one, is disabled on both boxes...

My next thing will be to revert back to win vista and try that connection to my main PC and see if it still hiccups or not.. if it does then, then i can say its something on the new upgraded win 7 main pc..

Unless someone may know of something else to try in the meantime

(for reference, my htpc is an asus P5Q-EM with q6600 2.4ghz processor, 4GB ddr2 ram and a single 4870 graphics card, as well as a xonar hdav1.3 audio card for dolby digital true hd; my main pc is a rampage extreme II with i7 920 3.0ghz processor 12GB DDR3 TR3X6G1600C8D 8-8-8-24 ram and dual 4870 ati video cards and my movies are on a 6 drive x 1.5TB array on an areca arc-1230 controller; the htpc is now running 9.8 of the ati driver set)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think i found the root cause of my stuttering..

On the "server" pc where i access the iso files across the network from, i had/have nod32 v4.x installed.. even if i add an exception for the folders where the videos are, it still stutters..

I have to disable real time protection for things to be ok.

This really blows that i have to do this.. Maybe someone knows of another workaround..

·
Registered
82 Posts
As an aside I am using Vista with ATI HDMI/DVI, when running dual-screens with DVD I get stutter. This is fixed by running 1 screen only (ie. projector in my case). Strange thing is that using Bluray or HD-DVD I get no stutter with dual-screen setting???? Drove me nut for weeks til I found out why.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrall /forum/post/17012670

I have the same problem, under Vista x86 and Win7 RTM x64. Drives me nuts - I have no idea what's causing it. I've tried disabling various programs, changed settings, etc., but nothing seems to help. Did anybody solve this issue?

Regards!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17200738

I think i found the root cause of my stuttering..

On the "server" pc where i access the iso files across the network from, i had/have nod32 v4.x installed.. even if i add an exception for the folders where the videos are, it still stutters..

I have to disable real time protection for things to be ok.

This really blows that i have to do this.. Maybe someone knows of another workaround..

I was able to setup exceptions in nod32, eliminating the problem. Mainly all of my shared video folders and also a my documents arcsoft folder, as the my documents on my htpc points to the my documents on the video server/workstation.

All is well now.

Now if only there were an easy way to switch from 24hz to 60hz (tv programming is stuttery looking at 24hz).

(I tried a resolution switcher tool recommended by someone b4.. but it didnt run on win 7.. i use intelliremote and the ati console.. problem is, if i use a separate profile to switch the resolution, it stays in that profile and then my media controls dont work)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't have any AntiVirus program on my HTPC and I have disabled Windows Defender. I play ISOs from local hard disks (no network streaming, etc.) and the machine has no connection to the internet. I'm using the "23Hz" refresh rate in CCC 9.9. I've tried 2 different computers, one with Win7 RTM x64 and the other with Vista x86. Both show the issue. I use TMT3.

It's always the same: the video begins to stutter after about 20-30 minutes. There's no sign of any extraordinary activity (CPU stays at about 5-7%) when the stutter starts. Pausing and resuming mostly fixes it for another short period, but it usually comes back. Also, skipping chapters (or pausing/resuming) sometimes also causes the stutters to start. Extremely weird!

Regards!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.