AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to playback an archived recording on my HiPix (by restoring all the original files), the playback stutters.

Has anyone else seen this?

It's possible that my HD is fragmented but I doubt it's too much. I also try playing back from my DVD-R (on a 12x DVD drive) and it does the same.

- Tony in San Diego

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There was a poll on HiPix stuttering just a few weeks ago.

I get something like this but am not sure it is HiPix's fault. For me, on one channel (CBS), I get periods of video/audio hiccups that last for 10-15 seconds every 5-10 minutes or so. This same station, when viewed via my RCA DTC100 exibits a lip sync problem that steadly grows more severe but is reset by a channel change. This leads me to think that the station is putting out an incorrect signal and that may cause the HiPix to act the way it does.

For me, a given segment showing problems will show the exact same symptoms when replayed. This means that either the segment was recorded wrong or the original signal itself was at fault, either due to the brodcaster or due to reception glitches. However, I know what recetption glitches look like and this aint it. And since other channels do not show the problem, I conclude the broadcaster is at fault (sorry, Lee Wood).

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Are you saying it does NOT hiccup during the recording but only after you have done a restore from a backup?

If I am not beating up my machine like doing a compile or something disk intensive, I never get stuttering on my Hipix either during a recording or during a restore from my DAT drive.

WIN2K SP2

PIII 866 MHZ

256 MB

ASUS CUSL2-C

Twin 7600 RPM 60GB Maxtors as a volume set on an ATA100 PCI card.

Joe

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE

I had messed around with the OS settings, and apparently I'd messed something up. Fortunately, I had a backup from beforehand, and it works fine now that I've restored the system.

Since my system was still running fine (near as I could tell), it looks like the stuttering problem is caused by less-than-optimum performance. Hopefully, in a future update, they can add a warning message if the transfer rate isn't fast enough.

P.S. I am restoring files from a DVD-R. I found that my "12x" Toshiba DVD drive was barely fast enough -- it took 50 sec. to restore a 1-min recording. I swapped it for my 16x Pioneer DVD drive and it can restore a file in under 30sec !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.