AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bare with me as I try to explain the issue, maybe someone has a potential solution.

So I use my PC as a way to stream content to my Oppo 203 in the living room.
Have all connections hardwired with cat6e
I'm using SMB to connect
Whenever I try and stream any BIG files (anything 80gb+) I end up with stuttering the playback after about 20 seconds on any audio or visually intensive scenes. It does it with stand alone file as well as when I keep the disc structure intact to have menus.
My hunch is that its bottle-necking somewhere trying to keep up with the bitrate of the video and the audio. If I pause the video and play it right away it clears up for a few seconds but then goes back to stuttering.

I've tried it on both of my HDD's which are Western Digitial Black drives (WD4005FZBX)

What could possibly be the issue causing this? And is there anyway to address it without major reworking of my set up?
Any insights would be awesome. Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
22,169 Posts
Start by placing one of the offending files on a USB-3.1 thumb drive and see if it plays nice. My hunch is that your issue is at the PC in one way or another. You want a Gigabit network for this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by placing one of the offending files on a USB-3.1 thumb drive and see if it plays nice. My hunch is that your issue is at the PC in one way or another. You want a Gigabit network for this.
I threw it on an external HDD i have and plugged it in direct through the USB on the front of the Oppo, worked fine.

So its dropping somewhere, it sucks there is SO many connections between my computer and oppo. All of the cables are at least Cat6 if not Cat6e. All wall jacks are cat6.
I have a
- Monoprice SpaceSaver 19in Half-U UTP Cat6A Horizontal 180-degree Patch Panel, 24 Ports Dual IDC
- TP-Link 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
- Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection on my computer

Checked the connection on the computer side and its at 1.0Gbps/Full Duplex

I may need to carry out the computer and try plugging it in direct to see if it works or not. Just sucks having to problem solve 15 things haha

Im curious you think I would be better off using a NAS with a more direct connection, then using the Oppo

·
Registered
22,169 Posts
Im curious you think I would be better off using a NAS with a more direct connection, then using the Oppo
Is a dedicated NAS more stable and reliable than a Windoz PC? Um....yes. I watch UHD files and folders all the time on the Oppo via Ethernet. Your description sounds like something in the chain is running at Base100, or the HDD is not quick enough. Where you go with this is really just a matter of how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Are these .iso? .mkv? .avi? .mt2s? .mpg?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a dedicated NAS more stable and reliable than a Windoz PC? Um....yes. I watch UHD files and folders all the time on the Oppo via Ethernet. Your description sounds like something in the chain is running at Base100, or the HDD is not quick enough. Where you go with this is really just a matter of how much you want to spend.
Im kind of wondering if its the HDD itself. But I guess Im going to have to do a process of elimination to find out what the heck it COULD be sadly. Ugh, what a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are these .iso? .mkv? .avi? .mt2s? .mpg?
It has happened with MKV and MT2S. I dont know if it would with anything else but those are the only files that have been over such a large size.

The stuttering seems to happen when trying to push such a high bitrate with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I wouldnt say its those formats specifically, those are just the highest bitrate formats being pushed at the time

·
Registered
22,169 Posts
Im kind of wondering if its the HDD itself. But I guess Im going to have to do a process of elimination to find out what the heck it COULD be sadly. Ugh, what a pain in the butt.
You could grab an on-sale SSD and just try it to see. The Black HDDs are not slow, but are also not the newest technology. They will slow down a great deal with small files or fragmentation. The path of least resistance and cost is to just use your portable HDD to move files to the player. Just for grins, connect the portable HDD to your PC and share it, try a file from the portable via network and see what happens.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could grab an on-sale SSD and just try it to see. The Black HDDs are not slow, but are also not the newest technology. They will slow down a great deal with small files or fragmentation. The path of least resistance and cost is to just use your portable HDD to move files to the player. Just for grins, connect the portable HDD to your PC and share it, try a file from the portable via network and see what happens.
I may have figured out the issue. I think one of my cat6 ports by my media rack must either be bad or have a bad connection. Jumped a cable directly from my Oppo to my switch, ended up working fine. Tried multiple files and didnt have any hiccups. Gonna keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Either way, I appreciate the help and suggestions. I need to just buckle down and get a NAS ha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Couple things with a NAS that can make it better/faster than a PC, but you do have to choose the right NAS:

1) The NAS isn't doing anything else but serving up your files (if you get a fancy one that can have a bunch of apps and stuff, dont use them)
2) Make sure the NAS has gigabit port(s). Some have multiples that can be teamed/bonded for even faster connections. You can also have multiple networks if you're into that.
3) Multiple drives for RAID. I highly recommend this. Not only does this protect your data, but if you get 5 or more disks in raid5 or raid6, you actually see better throughput, and all your stuttering problems tend to go away. Your data being written/read from 5+ drives instead of 1 means faster writes and reads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts