AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using a OrigenAE S16V for the past few years. And while it's pretty good looking, there isn't enough clearance in the case to plug in PCIe power plugs (I've had to solder the power directly to the GPU). Plus the case has terrible ventilation. So I'm looking for a replacement

Price is pretty much no object here (sub $500 would be nice). Here would be my list of criteria:

• traditional home theater form factor (like a stereo receiver)
  • support for a full-sized graphics card and pcie power connection
  • well ventilated
  • minimalistic front (power button, two usb connectors, audio jacks, and optical slot; no screen)
  • slot loading optical drive support (ideally I'd like this, but a full-sized optical drive is OK as long as it has a matching plate that covers the front of it)
The Streacom F12C looks nice, but sadly it lacks optical drive support (nor does it have front USB connectors which I'd prefer). There are a ton of attractive mini-ITX HTPC cases that fit the bill, but obviously would not support a full-sized graphics card. Something like the Streacom FC8, but in a larger size is precisely what I'm after. I appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Define "full sized" graphics card... :)

Before the advent of the current GTX 970/980 and 295x/x2 it meant one thing...after they came out...well.. even a number of desktop/mid tower/full towers lack the depth necessary to house them.

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Before the advent of the current GTX 970/980 and 295x/x2 it meant one thing...after they came out...well.. even a number of desktop/mid tower/full towers lack the depth necessary to house them.
It is a GTX 970. But depth isn't my problem with my current case. It's height. I have no clearance to plug the PCIe power plugs into the card. I have to splice molex adapters and solder the wires directly to the PCB of the video card just so I can power the thing and fit it in the case.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe this?

Silverstone Milo ML07B, m-ITX that can support a graphics card up to 13" and slot loading drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163256
hmm. it is intriguing indeed. So it must have some riser card that allows you to seat the graphics card at that orientation? The board I'm using is actually mini-ITX so this could potentially work. Though I'm concerned about the ventilation. I wouldn't be able to use a typically sized heat sink fan for the CPU I imagine.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
hmm. it is intriguing indeed. So it must have some riser card that allows you to seat the graphics card at that orientation? The board I'm using is actually mini-ITX so this could potentially work. Though I'm concerned about the ventilation. I wouldn't be able to use a typically sized heat sink fan for the CPU I imagine.
Yes it uses a riser/adapter to mount a PCIe card the "other way"...

Note that the ML07B, the FTZ01, and the RVZ01 are all basically the same chassis with different looks/exterior. The later versions (1.3 and later) of the RVZ01 have a larger [PSU] fan vent on the bottom which better accommodates SFX-L PSUs. I believe all FTZ01s have this larger vent but not sure. Not sure if the ML07 was ever updated as such but this is really only important if you plan on using an SFX-L supply.

The RVZ02 and ML08 also share essentially the same design, again with different exterior looks.

There's a big thread over on OCN about these cases, if you really want to get into the specifics and have a look at what other people have built in them:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-rvz02-ml07-ml08-ftz01-owners-club

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it uses a riser/adapter to mount a PCIe card the "other way"...

Note that the ML07B, the FTZ01, and the RVZ01 are all basically the same chassis with different looks/exterior. The later versions (1.3 and later) of the RVZ01 have a larger [PSU] fan vent on the bottom which better accommodates SFX-L PSUs. I believe all FTZ01s have this larger vent but not sure. Not sure if the ML07 was ever updated as such but this is really only important if you plan on using an SFX-L supply.

The RVZ02 and ML08 also share essentially the same design, again with different exterior looks.

There's a big thread over on OCN about these cases, if you really want to get into the specifics and have a look at what other people have built in them:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-rvz02-ml07-ml08-ftz01-owners-club
Thanks man. It is a good looking case for sure, and seems like the perfect one for a mini-ITX HTPC build, as you can still use a full sized GPU. I actually went ahead and emailed Streacom and they reported back that they will be making a case similar to the F12C but with the same sort of front USB and optical drive slot that the FC8. I decided to just make due with what I have (rather than go and buy a new case, new power supply, and new CPU cooler) until they release that. IMHO, that will be the case to own for a full-fledged, high performance HTPC, as it will have ample room for good airflow, lots of fan mounts for ventilation, all while being able to run an SLI configuration and use a large heatsink-fan if you so choose.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

"Full sized" isn't well defined, but "full length" is a 12.25" card with support brackets on both ends. There are still full length raid cards and workstation gpus, but I can't recall a gaming gpu that large since the Obsidian X24. The 980 series is still a couple inches shorter, despite now being the largest card that might be found in an htpc. It's safest to case shop by measurements than text labels.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use a nMediaPC 6000B case. It looks like it hits all your bullet points. Right now I have a Radeon 6850 dual fan version running; it's a little tight length wise but it does fit. Vertically, it fits no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts