AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I use Mo-Fi LP #9 stylus cleaner before I start playing records. Just remember to brush the stylus tip back to front never front to back or side to side. Also clean the brush after use so you don't contaminate the solution w/a dirty brush. Costs about $20 a bottle but it lasts for a long time.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
The Garrott brothers advised me to use 1000 grit wet and dry and showed me the difference under their microscope.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
do yourself a favour and leave well alone ! the stylus is an extremely delicate piece of micro engineering.

if wondering about it check out under a microscope but otherwise I'd advise against trying to do any maintenance on it as unlikely be able to see what your doing (or what damage your doing) !

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau
the stylus is an extremely delicate piece of micro engineering.
Hardly - it's a diamond. The Bros Garrott also knew a little more on the subject than most people ever will. I've used what they showed me for 25 years with no damage.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20779482

Hardly - it's a diamond. The Bros Garrott also knew a little more on the subject than most people ever will. I've used what they showed me for 25 years with no damage.

This item has peaked my intrest. Where can you purchase it and what's the cost?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20779482

it also sits on a most delicate cantilever and suspension system.

I doubt very many here performing what ever they attempt on their stylus have the skill or knowledge of what they are doing as the Garrott Bros might have.

I can only suggest leave well alone, and if clueless what you are doing seek out someone whom does.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/20780789

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on mine.

James

Yep, you just do a delicate drop of the stylus onto the eraser dry every so often and it picks up gunk on the stylus. I do that and use the tiny brush included with it to remove dust from ordinary use.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I lower it into Magic Erase once or twice. I then wipe from back to front a few times. Also, never play dirty vinyl that can pollute your stylus. So to invest into a Spin Clean may be needed if you don't want to sink wash albums, or purchase a expensive RCM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.