Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before. I want to spend $1000 on a good system. I know it's not much. My friend just bought Outlaw and Diva gear which blows most stuff out of the water, but I'm not there yet. I'll spend $1000 now, and $10000 in a few years.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Initially I was thinking of getting the Outlaw 1050 but I can't find descent speakers for $500. I already have the DVD player, so that's not a factor. I just need a receiver and speakers.

I AM very picky of sound, so most of those prepackaged systems won't do. I'm also interested in used gear, auctions, and anything out there that would provide me with a good deal.

Thanks in advance ---

Ziv.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
I want to spend $1000 on a good system
Quote:
I AM very picky of sound

Boy, that's a tough one... These two don't go together very well. The fact that you just need a receiver and speakers helps, but I don't know if it helps enough...

A nice $500 receiver would be the Onkyo 600 model. This is a good quality receiver w/ 80 watts per channel that gives you good sound quality and most of the bells and whistles that you might be looking for.

The down side is that now we only have 500 left for speakers...

If your budget was 1500 instead of 1000 I think you could make a real step up in sound quality. What you might want to consider doing if your budget can't flex a little is just purchasing front speakers for a 2 ch setup until you can afford to put a little more into it and then get the surrounds or perhaps upgrade all your speakers at that time.

good luck.

David

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:
I'm also interested in used gear, auctions, and anything out there that would provide me with a good deal.

Well, this is what I would do - wait, that is what I am doing too...!!

Go and listen and much as you can to speaker systems, receivers, etc and do some research on the internet - then narrow the choices...Once you have them narrowed down to acceptables - then scour the forums & classifieds for deals on used gear. Alot of the ones selling gear due to "upgradeitis" are antsy to get the needed cash and pretty easy to negotiate with - on the flipside, they have proven (at least in my findings) to be extremely reputable in the handlings of seller side of the deal....

this forum and audiogon classifieds are highly recommended ways to purchase gear....

Dave

·
Registered
557 Posts
Checkout the Energy Take 5.2 and sub for about $600. Then add the Onkyo 500 or the Denon 1802. I think you will be very happy with this setup. The Take 5's have gotten rave review in some HT mags.

Michael.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My budget was even less than yours but its definitely possible.

Here is what I would suggest -

Speakers:

Fronts - Axiom M3Ti - $247

Rears - Axiom Quadpolar QS4 - $248

Center - Axiom VP100 - $198

These are prices from Axiom's factory outlet - http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html

Axiom's are very very highly regarded speakers as you will find out if you do a search on this and other forums. I think they represent the best price/performance ratios you can get.

Another option would be to get 5 M3Ti's which gives you an identical soundfield all around that will sound fantastic - but I don't know how much a single M3Ti costs.

That leaves you $300 for a receiver.

Receiver:

I am going to suggest either the Denon 1602 ($270) or Kenwood VR-507 (should be $250 or lower). Both are very capable performers. I would also advise against Outlaw 1050 because it doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic II which I think adds a great deal to the HT experience. That is unless you are planning on external amplification later and need preouts. There are other receivers which are $50-100 more which also fit your needs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would agree on the Onkyo 500

For speakers check out the

Front: JBL N-24's

Rears: JBL N-24's

center: JBL N-Center (all the JBL's sold as a package under the name NSP-1) The NSP-1 set can be found for $250

For a sub take a look at the Sony SA-WM40 , its a MONSTER for the price and can be found on sale at Sears or Best Buy for $150 (do a search for it on audioreview.com and you willl see a huge cult following)

Just my 2 cents...whatever you get I hope you enjoy.

SMD

over and out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean it. I'll research everything people suggested above, and will buy during the next few days :)

Thanks again ---

Ziv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.