AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any projectors out there that have the video quality of a plasma t.v. that are cheaper than $1000? By plasma quality, I mean even the cheapest plasma t.v. today, i.e. Samsung P45 model. Resolution and 3D are not a priority, although 1080p would be nice. $500-$800 would be ideal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Then it's not pitch black. You would really be amazed at just how dark a properly painted room can get. I've always had three slate grey walls and one black wall but when I painted my ceiling tiles things really took a leap in darkness. Colours on my screen became much more vivid.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I just got a Panasonic 60" ST60 plasma for my living room and the blacks are amazing, no projector will ever match it. But I still would rather watch a movie on my 110" screen in the home theater any day over the tiny 60" screen. Near plasma levels can only be reached if all the reflecting surfaces ( as in floors, ceiling and walls) are a dark flat color.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
6,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlownsFOS  /t/1520920/sub-1000-projector-w-plasma-quality-blacks-and-color#post_24437091

Are there any projectors out there that have the video quality of a plasma t.v. that are cheaper than $1000? By plasma quality, I mean even the cheapest plasma t.v. today, i.e. Samsung P45 model. Resolution and 3D are not a priority, although 1080p would be nice. $500-$800 would be ideal.

No. Impossible.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
If you have a serious home theater, then you need a better projector which can deliver the better blacks. This starts with the JVC RS46 which is about $2,600ish.

At $800 you are entry level, and the black levels, while decent, don't match the JVC models.

Also, as pointed out, you don't have a serious home theater. You have a normal room you can turn the lights out in and doesn't have windows. That's very different than a home theater space. Since front projection relies on a quality room for best results, you just can't get it with what you are providing at this time. Get some dark paint for the walls and ceiling and put in some dark carpet and things will improve immensely.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you can control ambient light I would suggest that a white screen may be the better way to go. Grey will lower the black level at the expense of the overall brightness of your picture. There are some situations where grey is the better bet but as a default you should be thinking white.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
A white neutral gain or minimal gain screen is always best. Only when you have a terrible room that you intend to do critical viewing in should anyone consider a grey screen. Black screens (at least the black diamond screen) is horrendous. 95% of installations really should have a white screen from what I've seen. The rest would benefit most from a positive gain grey screen and accept the hit in quality that goes along with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. So white screen and a dark painted room is best. What about projectors? I know a JVC LCOS would be ideal but it's not currently in the budget. Does anything sub $1000 really stand out?

·
Registered
14,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones  /t/1520920/sub-1000-projector-w-plasma-quality-blacks-and-color#post_24439340

I just got a Panasonic 60" ST60 plasma for my living room and the blacks are amazing, no projector will ever match it. But I still would rather watch a movie on my 110" screen in the home theater any day over the tiny 60" screen. Near plasma levels can only be reached if all the reflecting surfaces ( as in floors, ceiling and walls) are a dark flat color.

The more recent JVCs have better contrast and blacks than your ST60. I own a 65" VT60 myself.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlownsFOS  /t/1520920/sub-1000-projector-w-plasma-quality-blacks-and-color#post_24449847

Does anything sub $1000 really stand out?

Not as far as black levels. What is your throw distance and desired screen size?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1520920/sub-1000-projector-w-plasma-quality-blacks-and-color#post_24449902

The more recent JVCs have better contrast and blacks than your ST60. I own a 65" VT60 myself.

If this is really true ( I have not seen one so I can't judge) you definitely would need an optimized room and every one in the room would need to have on black including ski masks to take full advantage of that kind of contrast. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts