AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are probably plenty of similar threads here, but I couldn't find the NAD included in anyone else's considerations.

In any event, I'm looking for a new A/V receiver for $1000 or less that delivers clear dialogue from video material and natural sounding music across a wide range of genres. While I do have speakers for surround, I don't care much about the various exotic surround schemes. Likewise, I don't need to produce enough volume to shake my building to its foundations. It's only necessary that the unit yields sufficient volume to present clear sound with some authoritative punch in a 15x22 foot living room.

From doing a lot of research and a couple listening sessions, I was pretty certain that the Marantz 5004 would be the answer. That is, I was certain until I read about the "pop of death" that seems to be a common phenomenon amongst owners of this unit. So the search continues.

Should I get the Marantz anyway and cross my fingers? I do have a local Marantz authorized dealer should anything happen.

Or should I look elsewhere? The NAD 737 seems like a strong contender, but I can't find much in the way of commentary on it. Meanwhile, the Denon seems like a safe bet, but the sound, while fine, didn't really excite me when I demoed it. After owning Onkyos in the past, I'm skeptical that their entries in my price range can offer sound that's going to satisfy more than my old units did. Likewise, I have a deep reservations about Pioneer, Sony, and Yamaha's ability to provide more than bloated power ratings and a lot of fancy digital smoke and mirrors in place of rich, satisfying sound. Am I holding on to outdated predjudices formed when I was putting together my first A/V system in the 90s?

Any recommendations or personal experiences with receivers in this range would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would check out the Pioneer SC-25 thread. It can be found very close to your budget and has gotten some glowing reviews. It uses class D power amps and many really like the sound from them. Home Theater Magazine did a review of the SC-27 which is almost identical to it.

The NAD isn't as feature rich as the other options you listed. They are typically behind the major brands in that regard. Marantz is another that lags behind, but not as bad as NAD. If you really like the sound of Marantz look at their 003 ending models from the year before. You can get some really good deals on them, especially refurbished units.

The Denon is nice and fully loaded. Although it can be tough to set up. The threads here are a good resource if you go that route.

All units in this price range should have plenty of power for your needs. It really comes down to features. Room Correction is a really nice feature that comes on most units.

If I was in the market today the Pioneer would be top on my list. I have had good luck with Onkyo and really like my TX-SR805. The newer 807 is a nice unit and the 1007 should be in your price range. I would go into the threads of the units you are looking at and see what actual owners say.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I too would add the Pioneers to a list along with the Onkyo 876. The 876 can be had new from tigerdirect and refurbed from accessories4less. Either of these should do what you want plus some other things. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I agree.

I had a Marantz 5003, then a Denon 3808 before I settled on a Pioneer SC-07.

Love the ICE amps!

Most dynamic AVR I've heard under $2,000.

Fantastic on movies.

The SC-05/25 are similiar as is the SC-07/27.

The SC-07/27 both have an extra HDMI output.

Onkyo's run way too hot for my taste.

The Pioneer ICE-amps run cool.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
If you want Marantz? I'd say go for an older higher end unit. SR7002 / SR8002 or even SR8001 / SR7001......

Much more audio bang for buck there is all.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would get a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR876 from Accessories4less for 829. (1700 MSRP)

Weighs 51 pounds, THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified, Audyssey MultEQ XT, fantastic amplifier section, Reon Video Processor, and more. Stock is getting low so if interested, I would jump on it while still available.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would suggest getting something with pre-outs. I think the Denon has them, and I'd be surprised if the NAD didn't, but I don't know about the Marantz. The reason I say this is that you seem to be looking for a specific amplifier "sound." If you don't like the sound of the receiver you get, using pre-outs, you can "swap-in" different amps until you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfox /forum/post/18272103

I would suggest getting something with pre-outs. I think the Denon has them, and I'd be surprised if the NAD didn't, but I don't know about the Marantz. The reason I say this is that you seem to be looking for a specific amplifier "sound." If you don't like the sound of the receiver you get, using pre-outs, you can "swap-in" different amps until you find what you're looking for.

Yes, this is something at the heart of my dilemma. First and foremost, I want to emphasize sound quality over all else. While I do need modern video interconnects, a couple HDMI in and out, I mainly want clean, dynamic music and dialogue reproduction. I also already have a TV and blu-ray player that allow for media streaming and have wi-fi access, so these aren't features I need to spend money on in my receiver. It's all about the sound.

The tricky part is that I listen to a lot of different types of music, from low fi rock with crunchy, feedback heavy guitars, to a variety of electronic genres, some of which are very noisy while others are lush and atmospheric, to jazz and classical, where I prize a nice airy soundstage.

For films, even though I enjoy Aliens, LotR or Iron Man as much as anyone and so wouldn't mind having the ability feel a high energy reproduction of the sound from those kinds of films, the majority of films I watch are heavily dialogue driven, so natural sounding vocals on bypass are of prime importance.

In any case, I would have liked to put together a preprocessor setup with separate amps, but my budget isn't going to allow for it right now. It would be great to get something that allowed this flexibility in the future though.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Denon 2310 does not have pre-outs. If you go for last years model Denon's you can get them on a lesser model. However, for some reason or another Denon only put pre-outs on this years models from the 3310 and up. The other models that have been suggested do have pre-outs.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I really think the Onkyo is untouchable in terms of value. While it is refurbished, everyone I have seen looks brand new. Moreover AC4L is an Authorized Dealer and the Warranty still applies.

At full retail, the TX-SR876 is an awesome value with no real peer when comparing power and features. At more than 50% off, it is truly a steal.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Can you deal with silver? Looks like blakc in unavailable.

I have to admit, that dang Onkyo is just so balls out on everything, it would be hard to pass up if I were looking for an avr right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18272641

The Denon 2310 does not have pre-outs. If you go for last years model Denon's you can get them on a lesser model. However, for some reason or another Denon only put pre-outs on this years models from the 3310 and up. The other models that have been suggested do have pre-outs.

Wow, they took them out of the 2x10 line up? I have a 2807 in drag (Circuit City model), and I know it has them, as did the 2307 that year.

Anyway, don't get the Denon then. To save on your budget, look for refurb or new-old-stock. The 2009 models don't really lack anything that the 2010s have (HDMI 1.3, lossless audio processing), so those could save you some coin (Denon xx09, Onkyo xx6, Marantz SRx003).

I'd venture to say that if you really don't care about doing the newfangled processing (or your blu-ray player already does all of that), try the NAD. It's kind of known as more of an engineering driven/audio driven company, so I'd expect it to sound... "better than you'd expect for the wattage it's rated." I'd also bet that it has a better pre-out stage if that's where you end up going. That said, I've never heard it, just going on reputation.

In the longer term, if you can keep your receiver budget down below $700, there are plenty of options for dedicated two-channel (and even multichannel) amplifiers in your range, either new or pre-owned. Between online retailers and places like Audiogon, brands such as Cambridge Audio, Outlaw, Emotiva, and Parasound have options starting ~$500.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No one is mentioning Harman Kardon? I have heard that they make great sounding receivers. But I have never experienced one.

Has anyone heard one of their receivers? Do they really have nice sound?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I still think the Onkyo for 829 is a better value. More powerful amplifier section. Audyssey MultEQ XT and THX Ultra 2 Plus over THX Select 2 in the Pioneer.

I do like the Industrial Design better in the Pioneer, but the Onkyo simply offers more.

Cheers,

AD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts