AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an HDTV with an abolute max budget of $1200. Just drop a note on your top pick(s). I'll be watching HDTV, DVD's, and playing Xbox games w/the HiDef adapter. Ideally, I'll need 2 component in's and a DVI-I would be fabulous, but I doubt I'll find that. Your opinions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
vgranada,

I had pretty much the same requirements as you when I went shopping for an HDTV. The other requirement I had was that it needed to be a 30" to fit into my entertainment center. I went with the Toshiba 30HF83 (30" Widescreen). It sells for $1299 but after a sale and a 10% off price match I got it for around $1100 with tax at Sears. I can't comment personally on picture quality yet as I'm still waiting for it to arrive. But if you do searches for it on this forum you'll find it gets high marks.

I originally bought a Philips 30PW850H, but took it back because I wasn't satisified with the PQ. I actually had 2 of them -- on both sets there were very faint lines ("jail bars") predominantly on the left of the screen in dark scenes. Otherwise that wasn't a bad set for the price -- less than $900.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If you want one with an integrated tuner, Bestbuy has a 30" Samsung widescreen for $1100 these days, and a 32" Zenith 4:3 monitor for under a grand.

Not sure about the Samsung, but the Zenith tuner will also do unencrypted (non Premium) HD cable as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently purchased Toshiba 30HF83 from Crutchfield. It certainly has a beautiful PQ, and is great with XBox. Playing Soul Caliber II in 720p (upscaled to 1080i by TV) is simply jaw-dropping.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I recommend the Toshiba as well. You get 720p upconversion and DVI, two very important features you Do Not find in the cheaper Philips or Samsungs. Given that a vast majority of the Xbox's true HD content feeds only 720p, you should take that into consideration and weigh your options. To be fair though, there're only 15-20 games that run in anything higher than 480p...with hopefully more to come.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Zenith C32V37

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh Yah Man I say get you the Zenith C32V37 its the best!

Stay very far away from the Samsung CRTs all of em!

Unless you want to watch regular tv in the same quality as streaming video over the internet with Windows Media Player!

Xbox games rock in the Zenith C32V37 and the 720P looks simply amazing!

Also if you love watching HD content on your Xbox you will be happy to know that Xbox Media Center (Feb 2nd Build) http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm is simply jaw dropping on the Zenith TV I can confirm the Xbox will put out 720P and 1080i with Xbox Media Center with just about any media format you name it , WMV, OGG,Divx, DVDs and even SVCD to name a few!

Watched Kill Bill last night in 720P on my Zenith C32V37 and it had me Intoxicated my Jaw dropped! You cant go wrong with the Zenith and it can be had for less then 900 bucks and is a far superior Television then any other similar on the market. Has DVI inputs 4 SVideo jacks, 2 component, 3 regular RCA jacks and 1 in the front tray! So you wont have problems hooking anything up to this Bad Boy! Go with the Zenith man im telling you I went through 4 HDTVs already and returned all of em until i found this TV of my dreams! I dont wish anyone through the pain I went through when I could of just Bought the Zenith the first time. Good luck man!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Alot of people complain about the 16:9 Samsung widescreen models.. In fact, if you were to visit your local Samsung seller, chances are that you would be able to find a customer returned Samsung widescreen and be able to purchase it at a much lower, discounted price. (under $700..Thats over $300 off the regular price!)

People buy these televisions thinking 4:3 content is as pretty as the HDTV feeds being displayed in the showroom, Its NOT! so don't buy this tv if 4:3 content is going to be your main viewing..

My local retailer had a couple customer returned 30" Samsung 3071's, so I purchased one a couple weeks ago knowing about all the horror stories and geometry problems, It was a price I didnt want to pass up...

Anyway,the geometry wasn't perfect and I was able to improve it via the service menu.. other than that everything looks great so far.. DVD's and HDTV are very impressive on this set, I am very happy with it and I saved a bundle of money...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Hey Bremerton, didn't Microsoft announce a similar, Official functionality at CES? Are you familiar with any of it's details, or when it'll come out?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes this is all they announced so far its called the Xbox Extender Kit!!

When combined with a Media Center enabled PC and a wireless connection, the Extender Kit lets Xbox owners easily transmit and access entertainment data stored on their PCs on the console. Users can browse, find, and listen to digital music (thanks to built-in Napster support), look at photos, watch TV and shows recorded on the PC, and access DVDs, utilizing the standard Windows Media Center user interface. In practice, this means one user can watch TV on the Media Center PC in the living room, while another watches a recorded movie using the Xbox Media Center Extender Kit in another room. Up to five different instances of the Media Center interface can run simultaneously.

But the thing is with the current Xbox Media Center you can already do all this and then some right on the Xbox no need for a PC, As well as stream from the PC if you feel like it! So this is not something that already isnt being done!

·
Registered
628 Posts
there are deals to be had out there. got my 36XBR800 new in box for $1100 @ tweeter. look around you might get something better than you might be settling on.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Zenith is definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
I originally bought a Philips 30PW850H, but took it back because I wasn't satisified with the PQ. I actually had 2 of them -- on both sets there were very faint lines ("jail bars") predominantly on the left of the screen in dark scenes. Otherwise that wasn't a bad set for the price -- less than $900.
I'm another victim of the 30PW850H jail bars, finally had Best Buy come get the unit on Monday. Buying one of these appears to be a real dice throw. I wouldn't recommend it. The jail bars aren't that noticeable but once you know they are there you can't stop looking at them.

Will be going for the Zenith, just waiting to see what Best Buy's special will be next week... don't need the silly free TV stand.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What about the Sony KV-32HS510? Saw that Best Buy had it for $1169. I'm looking to upgrade from the Zenith C27V36(want something bigger).

I was considering the Zenith C32V37...

at best Buy they had the Sony and the Zenith setup side by side.

The Sony looked noticably sharper, the Zenith seems to have a dullness to it. I noticed this on the C27V36 also. I know that the Zenith has an intergrated tuner, but I don't need that since I have HD thru my cable service. The Sony looked better overall and I'm considering picking it up this friday.

THOUGHTS???

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Honestly, you can't really go wrong either way with those two TV's.

The Zenith 32v37 I just saw today had a hell of a picture, so, side by side, you were at the mercy of whoever tweaked teh settings in the store. I'd be willing to bet that, if you had a shot at it yourself...that Zenith would look damn fine to you.

You could then get a splitter and use your PIP with your cable and the free stuff your Zenith would pick up.

I think it's a steal right now at $1295, which is the price my local dealership is offering me, with a delivery and install no less. Still have to pay tax, but even at that...I'd personally choose Zenith myself, for value of the dollar and performance.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Big time. And if you can live with letterbox black bars, like I can, you're saving a lot of money and getting the same awesome TV anyways.

Great!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Since I bought my set close to 9 months ago from eletronics nation for $700 delivered to my door I must say I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
$1278 after tax and includes full delivery, install and assembly for the c32v37. Incredible. It was $1199 before tax. That's a killer deal for a HELL of a good TV, imho.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.