AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok~ Take a look at this picture and you will see if I go to a 120" screen it will block the window and I would need to modify a fixed screen to fit; unless I go to a ceiling recessed screen..


I will be using a Panny 4000 and would like a goood/great screen that is tensioned. I would perfer electric over pulldown, but I really would like to spend less than $2,000 or less. I would love to spend $1200 so I could spend the remaining money on a LCD to place on the wall behind the screen that can be used daily.


I would like to know what you suggest for this room and maybe a link or two.



Thanks in advance I am ready to pull this trigger on screen/projector!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback.


I will need to read up on the da-light HP thread! I am concerned that the screen is not tensioned, but if it does not need to be.. I will need to search to see if anyone here has this screen and can recommend it.


Any other ideas for a screen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator /forum/post/18134168


+ they say the fabric is much heavier than typical.


here is my 119"
http://thefinalclick.3dcartstores.co...r_p_53357.html

If you get the 2.8 gain material , it is thicker and heavier. The 2.4 gain material is not as thick and heavy. That is why I am getting the 2.8 while it is still available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK /forum/post/18134678


If you get the 2.8 gain material , it is thicker and heavier. The 2.4 gain material is not as thick and heavy. That is why I am getting the 2.8 while it is still available.



Where are you getting the 2.8 in a retractable screen?


Reading the HP thread has given me a headache....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
HP 2.8 with a pull down 120in is more like $500. The cinemavision is their best (most expensive) screen at 120in but it goes for ~$1500 and is fixed with a 3 in velvet border. I just got that version in 120in. Very high quality. Very nice.


Here are my initial impressions. btw this is my first projector and screen.



I just finished setting up our make shift theater in the living room. Of course when the basement is done we will have a dedicated space with black ceilings and dark walls and full light control etc.


We just watched iron man (it's dark out). All I can say is wow! The detail is amazing. The da lite hp (high power) 2.8 screen looks really good. The 2.8 gain is definitely not too much gain. You would think it would be too bright, but it's not. Also the off angle viewing gain lost is not very noticeable at all. Even at the largest angle (5 to 10 degrees), you can still easily see everything that's on the screen (unlike lcd tv's). After seeing this screen, I can't imagine using a screen with a 1.3 or so gain. I think it would be quite dim. It would probably be more like a movie theater. That's not a compliment. Every time I go to a movie theater and watch for screen (image) quality and it looks washed out.


btw the clarity on our 120in 16:9 screen is outstanding. It's nothing like the grainy images they have at the theaters. With the larger sized screen, there appears to be more relative detail than a high def tv (63in plasma) due to being able to see tons of stuff you could never see with a smaller screen. Obviously there can't be more detail (same resolution), but it appears like there is more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cosmopolitan Electra might be the one.


After speaking with Mike at Projector People he asked why I needed a recesed screen and suggested hanging a wall sciling mount screen and have it drop down through a slot in the ceiling.


Well Hell... I guess I can do that! Now my budget is saved and I can mount a wall/ceiling screen and have the same effect.


I am now looking at the Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electra 120" for far less than what I was going to spend.



Now on to the new question....

What screen White Matt, HP or High Contrast? and how to controll the screen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory /forum/post/18141766


Cosmopolitan Electra might be the one.


After speaking with Mike at Projector People he asked why I needed a recesed screen and suggested hanging a wall sciling mount screen and have it drop down through a slot in the ceiling.


Well Hell... I guess I can do that! Now my budget is saved and I can mount a wall/ceiling screen and have the same effect.


I am now looking at the Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electra 120" for far less than what I was going to spend.



Now on to the new question....

What screen White Matt, HP or High Contrast? and how to controll the screen.

I just installed a an Integrated Tab-Tension 120" Grandview in my basement ceiling. Fortunately, the floor supports were running in the right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory /forum/post/18141766


Cosmopolitan Electra might be the one.


After speaking with Mike at Projector People he asked why I needed a recesed screen and suggested hanging a wall sciling mount screen and have it drop down through a slot in the ceiling.


Well Hell... I guess I can do that! Now my budget is saved and I can mount a wall/ceiling screen and have the same effect.


I am now looking at the Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electra 120" for far less than what I was going to spend.



Now on to the new question....

What screen White Matt, HP or High Contrast? and how to controll the screen.

I did the Cosmopolitan Electra in a 133" high power. Even though it is not tensioned you cannot see any of the little ripples or dents that the screen may have while viewing content. There is an optional remote option for the screen. The screen needs to be hardwired so you need to have access to an outlet to do this or pay someone who knows what they are doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg /forum/post/18145856


I just installed a an Integrated Tab-Tension 120" Grandview in my basement ceiling. Fortunately, the floor supports were running in the right direction.


Can you post pictures of your install? It would be very helpful!


Speaking with Da-Lite they recommend Matte-White for my setup. Why is screen selection so nerve racking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoo hoo! I have a Da-Lite Cosmo electric 120" on the way!!

Matte White Finish

14" of extra drop on top

Recesed ceiling trim kit



The peerless mount came yesterday, and the Panny 4000U should be here in a week or two.


A electrician came yesterday and put all the sockets in the necessary places. This is a very exciting time for me,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory /forum/post/18191255


Whoo hoo! I have a Da-Lite Cosmo electric 120" on the way!!

Matte White Finish

14" of extra drop on top

Recesed ceiling trim kit



The peerless mount came yesterday, and the Panny 4000U should be here in a week or two.


A electrician came yesterday and put all the sockets in the necessary places. This is a very exciting time for me,

Congrats, but matte white? I thought you were going high power, why the change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK /forum/post/18194243


Congrats, but matte white? I thought you were going high power, why the change?


Thanks Rod. Both Da-Lite and Projector People thought that the Matte White screen would be best for my application. It seems that everyone is jumping on the HP bandwagon and for good reason its a great screen, but I feel that the Panasonic 4000u is too bright for the HP.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top