AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am weighing what to do, and right now, I am leaning towards waiting until the HDMI 1.4 3d-compatible 1080p projos hit the market. I currently have an Optoma HD65, and so it's not like I am currently SOL.

That said, are there any such projectors on the horizon?

Basically, I don't want to unload upwards of $4,000 on a new receiver and a 1080p Panny/Sony/LG/Epson with 3d on the way. Considering ESPN3d will deliver 3d sports, and more and more movies will be released in a 3d-compatible format, I think the smartest usage of funds would be to wait until 3d projos are available.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have just nailed the biggest problem right now in the PJ Front.

They dangle all of this 3D stuff in front of us at CES.. But the product lineup is pathetic right now.

You have a total Shetload of 720p 3D DLP PJs out there for $6-$800, all of them are really bright and would be perfect.

Want 1080p? Sorry Charlie, Pony up $6,000 (900% Premium) to play or no deal..

OK.. So you buy the PJ.. What now?

You can buy a $200 nvidia 3d Vision Adapter for your PC and dish out $150 a pair for glasses.. But you cant do much other than play games.. even nVidia isnt touting 3D Bluray playback..

How about all of these stand alone 3D BD Players that are going to be out in a week or two?

Nope.. those dont output to control a BT or IR glasses setup, they just support HDMI 1.4.. They want you to buy THEIR TV to get the 3D capability.. no PJ Support.

Lets say you get creative and cobble together a setup with 2 inexpensive 1080p projectors, like a pair of HD20s.. Hook it up with nVision (Which is one of the few stand alone jobs, but still requires an HTPC) and finally get BD's to play on it..

There isnt a disc on the market to watch.. DOH!

/End Rant..

·
Registered
134 Posts
BTW.. To Clarify..

I contacted nvidia again after i posted... their 3d Vision solution WILL deliver Stereoscopic Blu-Ray Playback from a PC.. according to them.

·
Registered
912 Posts
makes sense that it would. Plus, it's a safe bet that cyberlink will add the bluray 3d standard to their player as well. Also, if DLP link glasses are used, there's no worry about syncing to the source, since the glasses will sync to the display - and DLP 3d out from iz3d driver is free with ATI cards now, so the cost of the glasses is all you really need there.

However, if sxrd or lcd is used (or any other tech), that wouldn't apply - and I don't know what tech will be used for 1080p (I'd assume there will eventually be dlps, but I don't know that I've seen any)

DLP on an HTPC is really a pretty safe bet, but apparently not at 1080p (yet). And of course, then who knows if it will be compatible with other sources unless you get hdmi 1.4.

Lotsa questions. A mfg that released a DLP 3d 1080p with hdmi 1.4 for a reasonable price ($2500?) sure would answer a lot of them though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well bottom line is that I am going to sell my Denon Receiver (I already have another Onkyo one that does 1080p pass through) and upconverting DVD and the HD65 towards the Mitsubishi HC3800. That model seems to be the best bang for the buck of 1080p projos.

This will allow me to wait out the 3d storm while giving me 1080p functionality.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You got me thinking a lot about this.. I think the best bet for going 3D right now without killing your wallet is this setup;

Projector: Go with a High Brightness 720p 3D.. Something like the HD66 for $650... You cant really beat that..

Media Player: Go with a PS3, Odds are good with this thing that there will be "budget" 3D accessories for it before too long, including BT/IR Sync Transmitters and glasses will probably edge $50 ea in the after market (like these lower end sets http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/ed-2wxtv.html )

Receiver: Sony is shipping their "xx10" receivers in 2 weeks that will be HDMI 1.4; ( http://hometheater3d.com/news/?p=1124 ) some as low as $229.

So for as little as $1174, you are in the door with a 720p PJ (not counting screen), 1.4 Receiver, 1.4 Media Player / gamer and ready for the glasses when the media hits shelves.. (Which again, i figure $50 a pair will probably work out by years end)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I visited a site not too long ago where someone outlined how they purchased the LG BX327 and it can connect directly to the PS3 displaying 3d without a convertor. Check it out:

maplefrog.com/croak/?p=59

You will have to insert the HTTP and www. I would have linked, but I do not have 3 posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts