AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on actual user experience, how do the brands compare in terms of reliability? There are popular projectors and there are reliable projectors. Is there a brand or two that seems to be both popular and reliable?

I appreciate any opinions, and I realize that the small percentage of users represented by the AVSforum community is hardly an accurate representation of actual reliability, but it makes me feel better knowing I asked!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a panny PTL711XU xga business projector that I bought for home theater use in 2002. I've reset the bulb twice when it reached 3000 hours (or was it 4000?). It's moved to three new houses with me. I have vaccuumed the filter out a total of maybe five times. DW and I have been waiting for it to die so we can upgrade, but it seems eternal so far

In truth, I don't have extreme brand loyalty to Panasonic. If I were to buy today I'd probably be getting an Epson 6100 if I can find a good deal. But unless you get a unit with a design flaw, the projectors out now from the major suppliers (Panasonic, Epson, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, etc) seem pretty reliable. It's been a while since I've heard of scores of people claiming less than 500 hour bulb life or fried boards or failing iris motors. Noisy iris, handshake issues, focus issues sure, but those are design flaws not _reliability_ issues.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Running my 720p Marantz VP4001 to ground ....2400 hours (2 years) and running solid like a champ with virtually no maintenance and without a SINGLE issue to this day. That or Sharp 510 (brethren) are probably the best 720p PJ's ever made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.