AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, so I finally need to replace the bedroom TV and I've tried to do some searching, but alas I have run a little out of touch with current HDTV kit when it comes to what to look for and pricing.  It's a little hectic at work right now (tax season is getting in full swing) and I can't lie I am a little exhausted when I do have the downtime.  

Basically I would prefer about 40inches (it would be hard to go much smaller seeing as it would be replacing a similar sized set) and I would just like to know what the gurus at AVS Forum think is the best set I could get for in the 500 or under range.  I would greatly appreciate any input at all that could make this go a little easier, sorry if this comes off as needy or too general of a question or if it offends anyone, I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck, and I couldn't really think of a better place to ask.  

Although this is the LCD forum, I've never had a preference between LCD or Plasma.  I think it would be a little a-holey to post in both forums though, and from memory quality Plasmas always seemed to be priced higher than LCD/LED televisions.  Smart TV isn't a must as I have a Roku/Chromecast that I can hook up, but I will never argue with one less input device in my bedroom. 

Again, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dems86  /t/1521665/sub-500-hdtv-help-for-the-less-informed#post_24458216

Ok, so I finally need to replace the bedroom TV and I've tried to do some searching, but alas I have run a little out of touch with current HDTV kit when it comes to what to look for and pricing.  It's a little hectic at work right now (tax season is getting in full swing) and I can't lie I am a little exhausted when I do have the downtime.  

Basically I would prefer about 40inches (it would be hard to go much smaller seeing as it would be replacing a similar sized set) and I would just like to know what the gurus at AVS Forum think is the best set I could get for in the 500 or under range.  I would greatly appreciate any input at all that could make this go a little easier, sorry if this comes off as needy or too general of a question or if it offends anyone, I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck, and I couldn't really think of a better place to ask.  

Although this is the LCD forum, I've never had a preference between LCD or Plasma.  I think it would be a little a-holey to post in both forums though, and from memory quality Plasmas always seemed to be priced higher than LCD/LED televisions.  Smart TV isn't a must as I have a Roku/Chromecast that I can hook up, but I will never argue with one less input device in my bedroom. 

Again, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.
Plasma displays are quite affordable for mid range displays and still offer best bang for your buck for picture quality, performance and price. Sadly the technology is on the way out. You will be hard pressed to find any of the mid-higher tier Panasonics since the announcement of their bowing out of the biz. Their are 4 lines still available from Samsung F4500(720p),F5300(1090p),F5500(1080p 3D/smart) and the flagship F8500 prices start at $380 for the 43" F4500. If you opt for LED/LCD Samsung has the 40" F5500(smart LED) for about $480 at most retailers and Vizio,Sharp and toshiba all offer 40"-50" within that price range. Hope that helped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts