AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 3 years I've used a pair of M-Audio DSM-1 monitors (onetime high-end studio monitors discontinued a few years ago) on a pair of Ultimate Support stands. Unfortunately, one of the monitors has gone into permanent standby mode, a well-known problem that is too costly to fix. :mad:

I'm looking for a replacement that can be used in my living room, hooked up to an Apple Airport Express so that I can stream music from my devices and the net. My budget is $600 but I could be pushed a tiny bit higher if I need to. I'd like to reuse those stands, so nothing floorstanding.

If I were to continue to look at studio monitors (so that they could do double-duty with my occasional dance-music mixing) I'd probably look at something like the Equator D5 or the Adam F5. But assuming I'm just looking for good-sounding powered speakers that can fill a 15'x25' room at moderate volume, what else should I be looking at?

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the last 3 years I've used a pair of M-Audio DSM-1 monitors (onetime high-end studio monitors discontinued a few years ago) on a pair of Ultimate Support stands. Unfortunately, one of the monitors has gone into permanent standby mode, a well-known problem that is too costly to fix. :mad:

I'm looking for a replacement that can be used in my living room, hooked up to an Apple Airport Express so that I can stream music from my devices and the net. My budget is $600 but I could be pushed a tiny bit higher if I need to. I'd like to reuse those stands, so nothing floorstanding.

If I were to continue to look at studio monitors (so that they could do double-duty with my occasional dance-music mixing) I'd probably look at something like the Equator D5 or the Adam F5. But assuming I'm just looking for good-sounding powered speakers that can fill a 15'x25' room at moderate volume, what else should I be looking at?
Would be interesting....

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
JBL LSR 308s, everyone's been raving about them. They are about 200 each.

I have three as LCR duty and I love'em, getting two more for 5.1 and then some 305 for heights once I get an Atmos pre-pro next year.

My loft is 25 feet deep x 10 feet wide (theater room only) x 13 feet high and there is plenty of nice, clear sound. Very easy to listen to. My past speakers were Klipsch THX and B&W DM602s and I enjoy these more, it's like the best qualities of both of my older speakers combined into one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I want to buy some of those JBL LSR305's, and I don't even really have a need for them or a place to put them.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
JBL LSR 308s, everyone's been raving about them. They are about 200 each..
Never heard of them, I'll look into them. Thanks!

EDIT: Looked at a couple of reviews, they look good, but...

... one of the reviews (SoS?) talked about ideal placement being around a meter from the wall, which would just not work for me.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Never heard of them, I'll look into them. Thanks!

EDIT: Looked at a couple of reviews, they look good, but...

... one of the reviews (SoS?) talked about ideal placement being around a meter from the wall, which would just not work for me.
Ideally most speakers would benefit from greater placement flexibility, but in the real world we can't really do that.

I personally have my front three 308s at about 6 inches from the wall that my projector projects on, and not only does it sound great, but I'm happier with this setup than I was with my Klipsch THX setup powered by an XPA-3.

Anyway, take that for what it's worth, but I don't see any reason that you should have to place these speakers a meter from a wall. They are back ported, so you can't really place them flush, but even a couple inches should be OK. Of course, only a real room response analysis would tell you for sure either way, and I'm a big fan of using actual science instead of mere opinion, but for myself, I don't have any complaints at 6 inch from the wall placement.

My only beef with these speakers is the white light that's facing forwards, I'm going to put some black electrician's tape there to mask it. It's small but yes it is a distraction. In a studio setting, I can see lights being somewhat useful, but I mean it's not like every speaker or monitor has them, and if not, then this is just a "feature" that doesn't really add value, only detracts. I'll look at opening the speaker and just unplugging the LED, that's the best solution I think. If I can do that without making it obvious that I opened the speaker, I'll do it.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Btw, if you want to read the AVS thread on the topic of those, it's here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1506519-jbl-lsr305-308-appreciation-thread.html

Make sure you have a good clean source and don't settle for onboard analog audio.

I did extensive research on the 308s by reading DJ sites and forums and it's getting great reviews there too. It's just an all around great speaker for so many reasons, not the least is price since you can get a pair for 375. Also, you can buy them individually which is nice in case you want to add a center channel or go 5.1 or 7.1 with identical speakers, something the big name companies don't support with their bookshelves since they are almost always sold as pairs. B&W lost a customer (me), partly for that reason. If the customer wants three bookshelves, why argue with them? They want you to buy their expensive center channel but I prefer just good, identical speakers all around. And having 5 towers is just too much overkill for me, even though I live in a large loft I like having the floor space used by speakers kept to a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts