AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Sub $700 price range choices include a 47" Sharp (Dell sale), as well as some plasmas. Would I likely be looking at a smaller plasma in that price range?

My viewing area is not too bright, and I'm not a gamer. I would enjoy looking at high res images from my camera though, and I wonder if the lower 720p of the lower end plasmas might be downside for viewing my photographs (I am a keen amateur photographer - the images are of high quality), while the better contrast range might at the same time be an improvement.

So there are tradeoffs of size, resolution, etc. Any thoughts in the sub $700 (which is the high end for me)?

As a bonus question of sorts, if it makes sense to wait a few months, that is an option too.

Thanks!

Harry

PS - posted a related question in the LCD forum re whether the sharp 47" represents a great buy...

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
If you shop you can find the 50" Panny X1 in that price range. Put some photos on a memory card and go look at the various sets. You're going to live with it. I'm as the owner of both LCD and Plasma am firmly in the Plasma camp, much better motion, and more realistic colors, but you may feel differently. I own the X1 and can not fault it in any way, the picture is great and holds it's own when compared to my other 1080p plasma. And to me it looks better than my upper mid end LCD.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/18239450

If you shop you can find the 50" Panny X1 in that price range. Put some photos on a memory card and go look at the various sets. You're going to live with it. I'm as the owner of both LCD and Plasma am firmly in the Plasma camp, much better motion, and more realistic colors, but you may feel differently. I own the X1 and can not fault it in any way, the picture is great and holds it's own when compared to my other 1080p plasma. And to me it looks better than my upper mid end LCD.

I agree 100% with you as a fellow owner of a Panny 50X1 and have own(ed) 3 other 1080p LCD TV's as well the 720p plasma out performs all of them as a general TV. LCD's are more suited for PC monitor use though and that is why i still own a Panny 37S1 (1080p IPS LCD) for use as a monitor and TV in my bedroom.

LCD will provide a better static image and 1080p will provide greater detail up close but as long as your at least 8 feet away from a Panny 50X1 while watching TV/DVD's/BD's it looks amazing and blows the socks off of equally priced 1080p LCD's in just about every aspect and will even out performer higher priced LCD's as well in some aspects that LCD fails at in all but the highest end LCD TV's like motion resolution, viewing angles (no LCD can touch that)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
As far as viewing photos is concerned recognize that at a 720p model screen is a 1 megapixel display and a 1080p model screen is 2 megapixel display. Therefore if you have uncropped photos from a digital camera being displayed that have more pixels you will lesss some picture quality when they are down scaled to the TVs screen

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
^ true, but whether you will notice from 8 or more feet away is very tough to say.

James' "I've owned and own multiple PDP's and LCD's" take on the LCD/PDP war:

Advantages:

Plasma:

1. Superior motion resolution...especially without the use of goofy frame interpolation.

2. Better off-axis (away from center) viewing.

3. Deeper, more realistic blacks and shadow detail.

4. Arguably superior color saturation/depth.

LCD:

1. Get brighter (although I have found both modern LCDs and PDP's to get PLENTY bright for virtually any room).

2. More energy efficient. What this means to most: 5-$10 off your electric bill, monthly.

I think the vast majority of critical resources and unbiased AVS resident experts find these to be reasonable.

James

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18241631

I am really happy with my 46XBR8 LCD performance,i do not know what you plasmaboys are talking about.

It's called justifying your purchase/point of view. You know, like when you are not sure you made the right decision and you are trying to convince yourself out loud.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd always go for a plasma if you're looking at the lower end of the pricing scale. There are good performing LCDs out there, but they're typically more expensive than similarly sized plasmas.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18241794

It's called justifying your purchase/point of view. You know, like when you are not sure you made the right decision and you are trying to convince yourself out loud.

What are you talking about?

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/18240923

Advantages:

Plasma:

1. Superior motion resolution...especially without the use of goofy frame interpolation.

2. Better off-axis (away from center) viewing.

3. Deeper, more realistic blacks and shadow detail.

4. Arguably superior color saturation/depth.

LCD:

1. Get brighter (although I have found both modern LCDs and PDP's to get PLENTY bright for virtually any room).

2. More energy efficient. What this means to most: 5-$10 off your electric bill, monthly.

I think the vast majority of critical resources and unbiased AVS resident experts find these to be reasonable.

James

I agree and I have one of each. The main reason my 2nd turned out to be plasma was the off axis superiority of the plasma. As for viewing straight on axis, I really like the picture on both but my nod goes to plasma mainly for reasons #2 and #4 above.

As for sub $700, I almost bought a 720p and know people who have and unless you're using BluRay alot, you'll never see the difference so take advantage of the '09 720p bargain prices and buy the biggest 720p plasma you can afford.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18241631

I am really happy with my 46XBR8 LCD performance,i do not know what you plasmaboys are talking about.

I'd rather not be labeled a plasmaboy or lcd boy but I agree, I really like that Sony XBR! IF I couldve got the same size and price as my Samsung plasma, I may have done it but I couldnt justify the extra cash, and didnt have the budget anyway. Being a regular income earner with a house, kids, cars, grocery bills, etc. life has a way of smacking you hard in the head when your thoughts drift off to things more expensive than you need or can appreciate.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw5599 /forum/post/18242394

I'd rather not be labeled a plasmaboy or lcd boy but I agree, I really like that Sony XBR! IF I couldve got the same size and price as my Samsung plasma, I may have done it but I couldnt justify the extra cash, and didnt have the budget anyway. Being a regular income earner with a house, kids, cars, grocery bills, etc. life has a way of smacking you hard in the head when your thoughts drift off to things more expensive than you need or can appreciate.

Some one listed some points. Some one else said 'I have this tv, I like it, you are a plasmaboy'.

Instead of saying what points he thinks are wrong. His points are solid and most are not even disputable.

Why call him names?

That does not mean your tv is bad.

In my opinion the 700-900 dollar price range is pretty dominated by plasma because you can get some good deals on the lower model plasmas which don't give up too much PQ because all or most of the 1080p panasonic plasmas use the same panel and the X-series is not terrible. Id stay away from U series because of no AR.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18242417

I was talking about the fanboism toward plasma by some.

In my case it's real life experience. Knowledge if you will. I own a PN50A650, a LN40B650 and a TN42X1, all purchased in the last 10 months. While the LN40B650 is a good performer, considering it's price and it's short comings I would never suggest a friend or family member invest in a technology that has so many issues, the prime one being viewing angle. If you live alone and watch from one sagging chair, it's a fine product. But if you have a family that enjoys watching TV together or heaven forbid friends that come over, one lucky person gets a full HD image while the rest of them suffer with shifting colors and weird image anomalies the further off the sweet spot you get. I firmly believe the Sammy LN40B650 is representative of the LCD product line. For me it was the best performer I came across.

It also took me days to tweak the motion setting to eliminate that awful fake, video look LCDs impart to all material. I can't believe people pay for that feature. Also the black levels on my $499 42X1 are far superior to the $1400 LN40B650 with it's flashliging in the corners.

I think the real fanboys here are those of you who feel the need to justify YOUR expensive LCD purchases that are easily outperformed by plasma sets at 1/2 the cost.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/18246629

In my case it's real life experience. Knowledge if you will. I own a PN50A650, a LN40B650 and a TN42X1, all purchased in the last 10 months. While the LN40B650 is a good performer, considering it's price and it's short comings I would never suggest a friend or family member invest in a technology that has so many issues, the prime one being viewing angle. If you live alone and watch from one sagging chair, it's a fine product. But if you have a family that enjoys watching TV together or heaven forbid friends that come over, one lucky person gets a full HD image while the rest of them suffer with shifting colors and weird image anomalies the further off the sweet spot you get. I firmly believe the Sammy LN40B650 is representative of the LCD product line. For me it was the best performer I came across.

It also took me days to tweak the motion setting to eliminate that awful fake, video look LCDs impart to all material. I can't believe people pay for that feature. Also the black levels on my $499 42X1 are far superior to the $1400 LN40B650 with it's flashliging in the corners.

I think the real fanboys here are those of you who feel the need to justify YOUR expensive LCD purchases that are easily outperformed by plasma sets at 1/2 the cost.

And yet Plasma is a dying breed.

You forgot to talk about the plasma low point like IR, buzzing, heat, higher electric bills. You may not have experience them yourself but a lot of people did/do.

You also forgot to talk about the high point of LCD like a brighter picture, no 100 hours break in period, lighter, cooler, sharper.

If you don't talk about both side of the coin then you are doing some fanboism.

Plasma have its good point and so does LCD. Presently LCD seems to have more good than negative since almost all major manufacturer have droped Plasma. The ratio of plasma vs lcd purchased is also quite something. People don't seem to mind LCDs shortcoming as much as you do.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18247714

And yet Plasma is a dying breed.

You forgot to talk about the plasma low point like IR, buzzing, heat, higher electric bills.

...high point of LCD like a brighter picture, no 100 hours break in period, lighter, cooler, sharper.

If you don't talk about both side of the coin then you are doing some fanboism.

The ratio of plasma vs lcd purchased is also quite something. People don't seem to mind LCDs shortcoming as much as you do.

Maybe you've got inside information? I dont see plasma dying. Panasonic bought out the Kuro technology from Pioneer, I doubt if they'd do that for no reason. If plasma dies it'll be because a better technology comes along and beats plasma's pq, which will also kill lcd.

We all know that consumers dont necessarily choose what they want. We're talked into things by marketing hype and good sales people all the time.

Actually the LCD bright picture isnt a high point for me, and many others. I find them too bright and when I try to change that I end up with a poorer pq. For me a viewing room is a room with low light, I've always preferred watching tv in low light whether it's a crt, lcd, or plasma.

I recently bought a plasma (already own a lcd and a crt) and in it's 1st week was mainly used to watch Olympics, with the ever present channel logos. That was it's "break in." No problem with IR or burn here. It's a Samsung and does not buzz. My CRT uses more electricity so that's not a concern for me. It doesnt create excessive heat but yes they do use a bit more power than a lcd. Again, not a concern for me. The trade off for lighter, brighter and your other points were carefully considered by me when I was shopping and I learned that the so called shortcomings of plasma were mostly untrue and for those that are true are not enough for me to give up the better pq that plasma has over lcd. Off axis viewing is common where my plasma is situated so I simply cannot have an lcd in that room. For that reason alone it will not work and I wont bother going into the other lcd shortcomings.

My lcd in the bedroom works for me, since most viewing is done from the bed, straight on. But move to sitting on the side of the bed or off the bed and ...yuk, I cant handle that. Lighter and cooler do absolutely nothing for pq so as I'm getting annoyed at the off axis problem and other lcd characteristics, I dont feel at ease when I remind myself that it's lighter and cooler.

What major manufacturers are still making plasma? The most major ones.

Smart move on their part to capture both markets. Inch for inch on low and mid range tv's, the bottom line for people who are critical of and know what a quality realistic picture looks like, the plasmas are always rated higher. As far as the Kuro in all it's glory, it's out of reach for most people's budgets, it's not what I'd call mainstream.

To each their own and I dont fault anyone for their choices but misinformation and pushing one or the other by spreading falsehoods isnt the proper way to help some one decide. I always say, let your eyes decide.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/18245920

Some one listed some points. Some one else said 'I have this tv, I like it, you are a plasmaboy'.

Instead of saying what points he thinks are wrong. His points are solid and most are not even disputable.

Why call him names?

That does not mean your tv is bad..

Responstime is a problem when you sit in front of a lcd(10cm)from viewing

distance 2.5/ meter respons looks good most of the time.

CRT has faster responsetime than plasma,if you look critical you can see

motionproblems on CRT/PLASMA too,the frase ''superior motion'' is

nonsense.

In the deeper,more realistic blacks and shadows detail,depht area TOP led-

lcd's perform better than most plasma's.

The fake video look:movies look good on my lcd's,people look real,everything

looks OK most of the time,the plasmalook/motion is strange in my opinion.

led-lcd's have more off-ax problems than ccfl-lcd's

Both lcd and plasma are ok technology's,the question is which technology

you feel more comfortable with,the real ok can only be found in the TOP

plasma's/lcd's.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw5599 /forum/post/18248070

Maybe you've got inside information? I dont see plasma dying. Panasonic bought out the Kuro technology from Pioneer, I doubt if they'd do that for no reason. If plasma dies it'll be because a better technology comes along and beats plasma's pq, which will also kill lcd.

So plasma is turning into HD-DVD... A one company product... How many company are left producing Plasma? How many plasma model are available compared to the LCD? How is the shelfspace ratio in store between LCD and Plasma?

Quote:
We all know that consumers dont necessarily choose what they want. We're talked into things by marketing hype and good sales people all the time.

You mean just like a sales clerk try to push a plasma on a customer because he has a bigger comission that week on that model? This work both way you know and it has nothing to do with the quality of the product being sold. There are some darn cheap and fugly plasma out there also.

Quote:
Actually the LCD bright picture isnt a high point for me, and many others. I find them too bright and when I try to change that I end up with a poorer pq. For me a viewing room is a room with low light, I've always preferred watching tv in low light whether it's a crt, lcd, or plasma.

Many of the new model of LCD adjust the brightness depending on ambient light. Also that is only a personnnal preference of yours. I, on the contrary, being used to a PJ, prefer a bright and crisp picture in the dark.

Quote:
I recently bought a plasma (already own a lcd and a crt) and in it's 1st week was mainly used to watch Olympics, with the ever present channel logos. That was it's "break in." No problem with IR or burn here.

Again this is annecdotal evidence not proof. The fact that you don't live with those defect doesn't mean that nobody does, quite the contrary.

Quote:
It's a Samsung and does not buzz. My CRT uses more electricity so that's not a concern for me. It doesnt create excessive heat but yes they do use a bit more power than a lcd. Again, not a concern for me. The trade off for lighter, brighter and your other points were carefully considered by me when I was shopping and I learned that the so called shortcomings of plasma were mostly untrue and for those that are true are not enough for me to give up the better pq that plasma has over lcd. Off axis viewing is common where my plasma is situated so I simply cannot have an lcd in that room. For that reason alone it will not work and I wont bother going into the other lcd shortcomings.

None of this anecdotal evidence point to LCD being inferior. They only point to your personnal preference or the fact that you don't want to rearrange your seating area.

Quote:
My lcd in the bedroom works for me, since most viewing is done from the bed, straight on. But move to sitting on the side of the bed or off the bed and ...yuk, I cant handle that. Lighter and cooler do absolutely nothing for pq so as I'm getting annoyed at the off axis problem and other lcd characteristics, I dont feel at ease when I remind myself that it's lighter and cooler.

Again this has nothing to do with the LCD technology being inferior as a display device. Most people position their TV to get the optimal viewing from their most common sitting position, not for the off time cases.

Quote:
What major manufacturers are still making plasma? The most major ones.

Smart move on their part to capture both markets. Inch for inch on low and mid range tv's, the bottom line for people who are critical of and know what a quality realistic picture looks like, the plasmas are always rated higher. As far as the Kuro in all it's glory, it's out of reach for most people's budgets, it's not what I'd call mainstream.

And what is the ratio of LCD models vs Plasma models? Where is my 2010 Sony, Sharp, Toshiba Plasma?

Quote:
To each their own and I dont fault anyone for their choices but misinformation and pushing one or the other by spreading falsehoods isnt the proper way to help some one decide. I always say, let your eyes decide.

Then you should live by what you preach and stop downgrading the LCD based on just your personnal preference instead of fact.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mr. Kurmyna, I have not posted to say one is inferior to the other. On the contrary I've advised people to use their eyes and own tastes to choose what they think is best, not what a salesman, you, or I say. I posted my experiences which are normal consumer experiences not lab tests because most of us watch tv in our houses, not test them in labs.

I wont rearrange my livingroom seating to suit the tv. The tv has to suit the seating. If I were to have ideal seating for a lcd there'd be one chair directly in front of the tv and nothing else. I cant see that working well for me or the wife.

As far as all the numbers you are asking for, I could care less how many plasma or lcd sets are sold. I got what I like, who cares about anyone else.

I've downgraded nothing. I stated that these are my personal preferences, who's else would I have given? I've given my opinions based on my eyes and my tv sets which cover LCD, CRT, Plasma. How many do you own? Then I suggested people use their own eyes and tastes to buy what THEY like. So stop trying to pick fights here and stick to information that's of use to people.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts