AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my first home theater system in my bedroom and I'd like some audiophiles to recommend some subs based on the following needs. Although I've read countless threads on AVS, the wealth of knowledge almost seems overwhelming, so I was hoping I could get some help on narrowing my options and making the right decision the first time.

My current set-up is as follows:

46'' Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD

Klipsch RF-35 Towers (x2: L/R)

Klipsch RC-35 Center Channel

Denon AVR-888

Room Dimensions: 12' x 13' with 9' ceilings

Eventually plan on building a 5.1 set-up.

I am considering selling the RC-35 in favor of another RF-35 for the center channel, but I've got to think it through a bit more.

I'll mainly be watching movies/tv (70%) with some music (20%) and gaming (10%).

From a size perspective, I'd like to stay away from anything too big. The bedroom is fairly small and I already have the RF-35's taking up some floor space, although the Sharp is wall mounted. The components might end up on the wall too, but may settle on an audio rack on the floor.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Velodyne DLS-4000R, which is a good comparison for recommendations based on size and price. I just wanted to do a little more research before I actually made the buy.

I'd like to spend no more than $650 unless something just above that is simply a much better value.

So what do you think? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Do you have actual dimensions you need to stay within? A lot of the high performance subs in your price range might not be considered large to those of us who spend lots of time in the AVS Subwoofer forum but you might find them to be huge. Is size more important in terms of aesthetics or the actual footprint (in other words, a sub with a large footprint wouldn't physically fit in the room)?

Assuming you want to keep the footprint from being too large and don't mind height, I'd take a look at the SVS cylinders. They're 16" diameter but rather tall (from between 32-46 inches tall depending on the model), and should offer excellent performance for a room of that size. I'd look at the 20-39 PCi. It's $599 plus shipping, which should be right around $650-$675 once all is said and done.

Other good subs in the sub $650 range are the Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($499), SVS PB12-NSD ($599), Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($499) and LFM-1 EX ($649), Epik Valor ($549) and Knight ($599), and Elemental Designs A3-250 ($325), A2-300 ($315), and A3-300 ($475 or $505 with an upgraded woofer). These companies are all internet direct sellers, so you won't find them in your local store. Note that Elemental Designs subwoofers include shipping in the prices. All of the other prices are before shipping costs. Here are links to the websites of all of these subwoofer manufacturers:

http://hsuresearch.com/
http://svsound.com/
http://epiksubwoofers.com/
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41
http://www.outlawaudio.com/

Again, you'll need to check the dimensions on these subs and decide if they're too large or not. The Epik Knight is particularly large, and I only mentioned it because of its great performance at its price point.

If you don't need really deep bass and high output, there are many decent subs available from brick and mortar stores. The Velodyne DLS-4000R you've looked at is a good subwoofer, though IMO it would be handily outperformed by any of the other subs I mentioned earlier.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. Best of luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as dimensions go, the DLS-4000R is 15''W x 19''H x 19''D and on the larger side of the spectrum of size. The footprint is my largest concern, but I would deal with anything less than 25'' deep since it'll be placed along a wall. Width and Height are not of great concern.

I like the design of the SVS Cylinders, but am I missing out on any performance with these compared to a more traditionally designed sub?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll0037 /forum/post/14254241

As far as dimensions go, the DLS-4000R is 15''W x 19''H x 19''D and on the larger side of the spectrum of size. The footprint is my largest concern, but I would deal with anything less than 25'' deep since it'll be placed along a wall. Width and Height are not of great concern.

I like the design of the SVS Cylinders, but am I missing out on any performance with these compared to a more traditionally designed sub?

Thanks for all the help!

The SVS cylinders are great performers. They usually correspond performance wise fairly closely to a SVS box subwoofer. For example, the PB13 Ultra (box) and PC13 Ultra (cylinder) perform very closely, with the box having a very slight output advantage in the ultra deep bass (below 20hz). The 20-39 PC Plus is more or less equivalent to the PB12 Plus. The 20-39 PCi which I recommended to you is very close in performance to the PB12-NSD. If you like the look of the cylinders, I think the 20-39 PCi is a great fit for you. It should offer tons of output and deep extension in your small 12x13x9 room while doing so in a form factor that doesn't eat up too much floor space. SVS ships quickly, makes a very reliable product, and has world class tech support. I have no reservations about recommending them. Keep in mind that I'm not taking anything from any of the other companies out there. Epik, eD, Hsu, etc all make great products and have great support as well. I think any of these companies could deliver a subwoofer to you that will put a big stupid grin on your face
. However, your interest in the cylinder form factor coupled with SVS's great quality and service lead me to make the 20-39 PCi my recommendation for you. I'd recommend e-mailing or calling SVS to see what they think. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts