AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finishing our basement this winter and I am trying to figure out if my sub will do a good job for the space provided. Our theater area is 10x13', opening up to a bar behind it. I am currently using a Def Tech Super Cube 3 but I am considering either:

Replacing it

Buying a second Super Cube 3

I like the super cube 3 due to the small form factor and the complete lack of distortion from it. I am using a Denon 1909 to drive it with Pro Cinema 1000's for the rest of my system.

Let me know your thoughts. Replace or buy a second?

·
Registered
528 Posts
What's your budget?

I assume you prefer a smaller form factor, but are there any hard dimensional limits?

One of the things I don't like about Def Tech is that they don't include a limiting attribute (typically +/- 3db) in their frequency response specifications. This allows them to mislead users into believing their products perform better than they actually do. Their 16hz rating for the 7 1/2" SC3 is...optimistic. I would doubt that there's much usable SPL below 30Hz.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a size limit. as for def tech, I really don't care about the specs they post on their website. I listened to them and loved them. If they add a +/- 3 db to their 17dbl, would you suddenly like them more?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Seems to me you have answered your own question. You appear set on the DT, so why not stay with them?

BTW, there are no 'complete lack of distortion' subs.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15450653

I don't have a size limit. as for def tech, I really don't care about the specs they post on their website. I listened to them and loved them. If they add a +/- 3 db to their 17dbl, would you suddenly like them more?

eD A2-300

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/15450900

eD A2-300

Do you have this in a keyboard macro, or do you actually have to type it EVERY time?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'd at least move up to the larger Def Tech subs as you like them. They don't put out any of that deep bass that everybody on this forum likes, but they are small and have decent mid-bass output.

My go to recommendation for a small and potent sub is still the SVS SB12 Plus. It's about a 14" cube.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

It's the perfect match for a room like yours. I'm using mine in a similar sized room and it does very well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/15451275

I'd at least move up to the larger Def Tech subs as you like them. They don't put out any of that deep bass that everybody on this forum likes, but they are small and have decent mid-bass output.

My go to recommendation for a small and potent sub is still the SVS SB12 Plus. It's about a 14" cube.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

It's the perfect match for a room like yours. I'm using mine in a similar sized room and it does very well.

How low does a SC3 go? Can I mix and match subs? I really want to try a HSU or a SVS!

Also, I wasn't trying to be an ahole about def techs. I just thought it was funny that a poster was discounting a company due to their marketing specs.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Since you evidently have the space set up for HT, then you want as low and loud as you can get with good sound quality. You can adjust volume down to your taste, but with a sub that won't go low and/or loud, you are limited to its capabilities.

The usual knock on the DTs is their claimed specs. I'm too lazy to find them, but I believe there are independent measurements that prove they don't meet their published low end. You want the OEMs to publish the usable low end, not the theoretical low.

If you really want an impressive HT experience, then move up to the big DTs or try one of the usual recommendations that you are obviously aware of.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15451552

what does this mean?

It's a low end model sub from Elemental Design (eD).

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15451568

How low does a SC3 go? Can I mix and match subs? I really want to try a HSU or a SVS!

Also, I wasn't trying to be an ahole about def techs. I just thought it was funny that a poster was discounting a company due to their marketing specs.

The SC III is very weak in reproducing the deep bass

http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...ef/index2.html

Quote:
The SuperCube III's close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3-dB point is at 46 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 28 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 103 Hz using the LFE input.—MJP

The performance is very good for a sub that small, it still has output below 30Hz at -6dB, but it's fading fast.

The SVS SB12 is able to reach down the 25-26Hz @-3dB which is still better than what the Supercube II is putting out.

For movies that do have very deep bass content, you are kind of missing out on some of the deep rumbling you would hear if you stay with your SCIII. I'd opt for the SC I at least if you like to stick with Def Tech, or better yet, the small box SVS SB12+ which should be comparable in performance but less expensive.

But of course, if you can fit an even larger Hsu or SVS sub, then that's the way to go. For your size room, I think the SB12 is about the right match.

You could certainly run two subs at once and you can definitely mix and match, and many people do that.

But in this case, I think you are better off just getting a way better sub. There is a time and place for super small subs (I have one for my computer system), but in your main home theater, opting for a super small sub will not give you the full range of sound that you could have had for the same money

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15451568

I've compared the SCIII versus the SVS SB12+, and there was no comparison- the SVS knocks the socks off of the SCIII. The SVS in my room had extension down to 27 Hz versus the 35 Hz or so of the SCIII (at -3dB), and the difference was prevalent. If you don't mind a larger box, ported subs will give you output in the lower frequencies that even the SB12+ can't match. The SB12+ does have a very clean sound, even compared to the PB10.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts