AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an audio newbie putting together my first system. I can't count how many AVS threads I've read over the past few weeks, specifically about which sub woofer to buy. (Thanks to you guys, I now know better than to just get one from the same manufacturer as my speakers) I know there are many threads on sub size vs. room size, but I have a specific question that I have not seen asked here yet. I guess first I'll list all the info from the posting sticky:

My budget is ~$300 and my room is approx 15' x 25 ' x 8' - it's a first floor room that has carpet over a concrete slab. I'm going to use this for 80% HT and 20% music. I have no specific appearance requirements.

I live in an attached house, and thus I am not interested in power as much as quality (I'd actually like to avoid shaking my whole house so my neighbors don't curse my existence) After much thread reading, I was looking at the HSU STF-1. Now, I realize this sub is meant for smaller spaces, however, I'd like to know if this is a reasonable choice considering that I won't be listening at high volumes? Or is the space so large relative to the sub that I would lose the benefit of the higher quality HSU sub over say, a BIC H-100 or Athena 4100? (I realize this is opinion, but it seems to be the prevailing one in the threads I've read) Just another note, I considered a sub-dude to avoid house-shaking, but figured it wouldn't do much good on a concrete floor anyway.

Thanks for your replies. This site has been a tremendous resource for an audio learner such as myself.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I would consider something with more output for that size room. The STF-1 just won't cut it. I would take a look at the ED A2-300. It's about as close as your going to get to fill that room with your budget.

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts