AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I'm looking for an amp to use with my current sub. That is until I have enough for an SVS CS+. My budget is ~$400. Obviously I'm looking for the best bang for the buck...this amp will be for subs only, right now 1, but maybe dual CS+ in the future. As of now I'm looking at the Crown CE1000 . Does anyone have any input on this amp? How does it compare to a Samson? Any info on noise level, fans? Any other recommendations for my budget?

Thanks.

George

·
Registered
312 Posts
Crown makes some of the most solid, reliable, accurate, and powerful amplifiers in the pro sound industry. I'm not familiar with the CE series, nor have I used one. I read the data sheets though to get a feel for it.

Here are a few considerations:

1. Input terminals. These are a combination of XLR, 1/4", and barrier strip. You'll need an adapter to use RCA cables with this, assuming that your receiver or processor has RCA outputs.

2. Output terminals. The standard terminals for this amplifier are Neutrik "Speakon" connectors. You can't use bare wire, bananas, spades, etc with these; only Speakon connectors. I can't remember what the connectors cost, but they can't be more than $20 each and that would be high. They say that five way binding posts are optional. Either plan to buy Speakon connectors, or pay for the optional 5 way binding posts.

3. Output power and impedance. This amp is rated as low as 2 ohms per channel in stereo, or 4 ohms in bridged mono. If your subs are both 8 ohms, you'll be ok with bridging it into 8 ohms for now and then bridging it into 4 ohms when you get the second sub. That'll give you 900 Watts into 8 and 1100 Watts into 4. Whoa.

On the other hand, if your subs are both 4 ohms, you'll be limited to running in 4 ohm stereo mode when you get your second sub. Still, that's 450 Watts per speaker, which is a heck of a lot of power for home theater.

4. The fan. Indeed, this is fan cooled. However, it's a proportional fan. It only spins as fast as is required to cool the amplifier down. You shouldn't start to hear the fan until the amp is producing a lot of power and heating up the heat sinks. I'm guessing it won't be an issue, but you might consider this factor if you will be annoyed by the fan turning on.

Good luck.

Brian.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The fans are pretty loud when they are running. And they do cycle on every now and then with the amp sitting at idle. You would not want these in the same room. They were really made for DJ use where noise isn't much of a concern

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the input.

Mad Chemist:

Thanks for pointing out the issue with excessive fan noise. Yes, it is a concern of mine.

How are the Samson S1000 and QSC RMX amps at this price point? Preferences between the two?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a Mackie power amp for my subwoofer. It has a loud fan, so I put it in another room. Can't hear the fans at all.

I built a box with a relay in it that operates from a 12 volt wall wart plugged into my receivers switched power outlet. This allows my big current amp to turn on and off with my receiver. Something you may want to consider, you don't want to power big amps through your receivers switched outlet direct.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where1:

Good point. However, it's really not an option for me.

Power out question...could something like a Marantz MA-6100 mono block w/180 watts in 4 ohms power something along the likes of a SVS CS+? Would it be only a few dB difference as compared to something like a Samson S1000?

Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am using a Samson S-1000 to drive four passive subs in bridged mode and fan noise is not an issue. Power is more than adequate. You should be able to find a new one for 399$ online. I am not sure how it compares to the Crown amps.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maggie Guy:

Yes, I have found them online for that price. My only concern would be fan noise. My theater is in my living room. Since the equipment is on whenever the TV is on, the volume is usually low...except for watching DVDs:D

Would I notice the fan at low volumes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.