AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been looking for a cheap powered subwoofer to add to my system and keep running into ones (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) with no single RCA digital input. I guess they are older or something.

My question:

Is it acceptable to connect the single digital sub out (LFE from receiver) into the analog line in on a subwoofer amp? Should I split the single out into the double (L&R) inputs?

Another reason why I ask is because I'm not sure if that's what messed up my BIC SWA-100. It's the solid state amp that came with a separate 12" sub on wheels, cost me $500 sometime in the 90's.

After hooking it up to a newer digital receiver it slowly faded away. Whether watching a DVD or listening to music, I kept turning it up more and more to get a response. It basically quit altogether except when I would bump or hold the aluminum volume control knob. I've considered wiring in a new power cord with a ground wire, but I don't expect miracles. It's a shame, that sub used to rattle the neighborhood!

I called BIC and talked to an owner or manager who doesn't even remember that model. I'm thinking I'll look into getting it repaired someday when I have more cash.

But I'm still concerned about those connections, I don't know if I should just write it off and get a new digital sub system. I don't really want to patch the front speakers through because I'll miss out on the dedicated LFE channel.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As I understand it the single RCA wire is passing a digital signal, so splitting into an analog wire would do something, just not what you want.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
Is it acceptable to connect the single digital sub out (LFE from receiver) into the analog line in on a subwoofer amp?

No, connecting a digital source to an analog amplifier is pointless.

Does your receiver really have a "digital sub output"?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The LFE output on receivers is not digital, it's analog and can be sent to either left or right analog input on any sub lacking an LFE input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.

For some reason I thought the subwoofer out on a digital receiver was also digital, much like the RCA digital output (5.1) on my Soundblaster PC sound cards.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So I am to assume my BIC amp just slowly died on its own, not by my connections. I guess I should start looking for a good local repair shop before I spend anything on a replacement.

Oh. After posting my question here I looked at more powered subwoofers on the net and saw quite a few with the single LFE RCA jack. The ones I saw earlier must be older like mine.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 1 purple color sub out on my 5.1 RCA receiver and a left right RCA in on my 7 or 8 year old Boston acoustics subwoofer. I purchased a 2 in to 1 RCA jack from radio shack and plugged it in and it worked perfectly. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved!

I know this thread is real old, but I felt a need to provide closure, something I wish more people would do.

Anyway. As mentioned earlier, I own a B.I.C. SWA-100 I bought around 1993. For $500 I thought it would last me forever. Within about 5 years it started cutting out and back in with touching or turning the volume knob. It got worse until I just gave up.

That's why I came here trying to figure out if I should replace it, or perhaps get better results using different wiring configurations.

Once again I'm guilty of overthinking things.

I recently opened the power amp and used Radio Shack tuner cleaner spray on the volume control.

Works almost like new again!

Because of the heft and weight of the separate amplifier I assumed the volume control was large, kind of like a variac, especially because of the big aluminum knob.

Wrong!

Simple potentiometer. Simple internal spray fixed it.

Now I know that it can be easily replaced if needed in the future. This expensive subwoofer system just might last the rest of my life like I had hoped.

Back to rattling the neighborhood on occasion.

Belated thanks to those who tried to help me years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts