AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, network mode. Have the front CDT components on an Alpine F450 and now want to fill out with my single 10" eD 110v2 dual 4. I plan to wire it in this configuration (2 ohm). Given the HU I'm obviously headed toward more of an SQ approach.

Been researching and think I need a ~600 RMS @2a amp. Right now I'm eyeing the JL Audio XD600/1v2 pretty closely but the cost is… wow. Not sure I want to ask the wife for ~$500 (wire kit too).

So two questions.
  1. Am I missing anything important or calc'd anything wrong?
  2. What other options should I seriously consider besides the JL Audio? I'm after SQ and long life, so good quality.

Want a laugh? This is all in a base model '09 Mazda3. With deadener, of course ;)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Give sonicelectronics.com a look.

Jbl
Nvx
Sound stream
Poi

A lot of decent mono amps out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm partial to sundown audio. Good SQ for the buck...their 1000D monoblock will put out 500w into 2 ohms (im running one of these with a pioneer DEH-80prs as well in network mode). Their SCV-1500 will put out 800w RMS @ 2 ohms but the price costs nearly as much as the JL amp.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm installing a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, network mode. Have the front CDT components on an Alpine F450 and now want to fill out with my single 10" eD 110v2 dual 4. I plan to wire it in this configuration (2 ohm). Given the HU I'm obviously headed toward more of an SQ approach.

Been researching and think I need a ~600 RMS @2a amp. Right now I'm eyeing the JL Audio XD600/1v2 pretty closely but the cost is… wow. Not sure I want to ask the wife for ~$500 (wire kit too).

So two questions.
  1. Am I missing anything important or calc'd anything wrong?
  2. What other options should I seriously consider besides the JL Audio? I'm after SQ and long life, so good quality.

Want a laugh? This is all in a base model '09 Mazda3. With deadener, of course ;)
I had a memphis audio mono digital sub amp back in early 2000's. Had 2 JL audio w3 12's in back of corvette, this amp had a very clean low frequency sound tight and fast. It didnt have that rockford fosgate boominess. I also have a little hearing damage in my right ear from this system except that the JL's became audiobahns after stolen and they where in a ported box.
I dont know what your sub is, have not kept up with car stereo. But 600 rms sounds good to me for what you have and going for SQ. Search reviews for clean sounding mono class D amps. After you find a clean sounding sub amp you will want a box that is braced as good as it can be within the parameters that you have to work with for your install. I only started toying with bracing at the end of my obsessive car audio days, but that will be the main key to get great SQ from your sub. Oh and since its in a car with a trunk you should have plenty of space for bracing inside of box.
Your ohms are correct it can either be 2 or 8. You could probably get a less expensive amp if your sub could do 1 ohm and it might be worth it to get one that can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts